• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120 gallon 450 litre - Quick pic update page 9

Its looking awesome Alastair !!! What are you planning when you strip it down for the move ? Are you going to replant in the same way... do a layout and copy it ? Or change it round ? Either way I imagine you will want to plan ahead so that when it comes to doing it you can just crack on and do it. Big task, but I am sure you will manage it. Have you given any thought on keeping your filter mature and not having too much bacterial wastage ? You probably have but I know that moving house is a nightmare and easy to overlook so many things :)

Antipofish said:
Its looking awesome Alastair !!! What are you planning when you strip it down for the move ? Are you going to replant in the same way... do a layout and copy it ? Or change it round ? Either way I imagine you will want to plan ahead so that when it comes to doing it you can just crack on and do it. Big task, but I am sure you will manage it. Have you given any thought on keeping your filter mature and not having too much bacterial wastage ? You probably have but I know that moving house is a nightmare and easy to overlook so many things :)

Cheers mate. I'm pretty happy with it now. It's not as much maintenance since I've gotten rid of most of my stems, so I do a slight trim once a week, gravel vac with water change day and that's it really other than dosing etc.
I think when I move, I'll aim for the same or similar as I think it looks very natural. If I could get myself to part with the tree trunk then I'd go for a scaped look but the wood is far too nice to not keep in it. The plants are all very well established now especially the echinodorus species so they shouldn't take too big a hot being uprooted. It should only be over two days max.
I've been given a 90cm tank which I'll transfer the fish over too( not looking forward to that bit) and put both filters on to the same tank too but at a far lower flow rate. This will allow me to strip the tabk completely, then get it moved to the new house and planted back up, filled and then I'll drive the half emptied small tank over then and get the fish back in. Sounds simple but it's going to be a huge pain.

Alastair said:
Antipofish said:

Cheers mate. I'm pretty happy with it now. It's not as much maintenance since I've gotten rid of most of my stems, so I do a slight trim once a week, gravel vac with water change day and that's it really other than dosing etc.
I think when I move, I'll aim for the same or similar as I think it looks very natural. If I could get myself to part with the tree trunk then I'd go for a scaped look but the wood is far too nice to not keep in it. The plants are all very well established now especially the echinodorus species so they shouldn't take too big a hot being uprooted. It should only be over two days max.
I've been given a 90cm tank which I'll transfer the fish over too( not looking forward to that bit) and put both filters on to the same tank too but at a far lower flow rate. This will allow me to strip the tabk completely, then get it moved to the new house and planted back up, filled and then I'll drive the half emptied small tank over then and get the fish back in. Sounds simple but it's going to be a huge pain.

I bet it will be ! Rather you than me. When you say gravel vac, do you mean that in the traditional sense (ie plunging the tube into the substrate) or just sucking up anything resting on the surface of the substrate ?

Antipofish said:
Alastair said:
Antipofish said:

I bet it will be ! Rather you than me. When you say gravel vac, do you mean that in the traditional sense (ie plunging the tube into the substrate) or just sucking up anything resting on the surface of the substrate ?

Just sucking up anything resting on the surface mate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

awtong said:
Hopefully will be moving myself soon and not looking forward to moving the 450l Vision. Any experiences you find out and wish to share will be gratefully received!

Andy

Sure, will do andy. I've moved tank positions once before, but only from one spot to another wall in the same room, and, wait for it...........because I didn't want to go through the hassle of storing fish in boxes etc etc.....I bought the same tank, sited it where I wanted it, and just popped everything into it ha ha. Very lazy I know but one but of advice with these is you'll need a bloody big net to attempt catching your fish. I'm getting a pond net to catch my lot ha!!

I've had trouble with trying to get flow spot on with it being such a big tank plus the bowed front makes it even harder, especially if using the twin spray bars. Also the tree trunk has made it difficult as it likes to interrupt the flow.

Nice looking tank Alastair. So how did you over come the issue of the bow front? I ask, as I have a 260 and have the same issue.

Thanks

[/quote]
Nice looking tank Alastair. So how did you over come the issue of the bow front? I ask, as I have a 260 and have the same issue.

Thanks[/quote]

I struggled with a 260 vision for a year, alistair has proven that the bow front can be done but i never cracked it entirely!
I reckon the 450 must be easier :lol:

What the new plan then alistair.... 150 opti white? ;)

just read you're selling up...can i just say how much i have enjoyed this journal.

heres to another scape!

jellyfish6 said:
I've had trouble with trying to get flow spot on with it being such a big tank plus the bowed front makes it even harder, especially if using the twin spray bars. Also the tree trunk has made it difficult as it likes to interrupt the flow.

Thanks

I found that circular flow rather than spray bars were much better at distribution. An outlet rear right blowing left, and a powerhead front left blowing down and right. Spray bars the flow would find its way to the centre of the tank more. Nice looking tank Alastair. So how did you over come the issue of the bow front? I ask, as I have a 260 and have the same issue.

Thanks[/quote]

I struggled with a 260 vision for a year, alistair has proven that the bow front can be done but i never cracked it entirely!
I reckon the 450 must be easier :lol:

What the new plan then alistair.... 150 opti white? ;)[/quote]

Lol it was a real pain getting the flow right mate ha ha. And that will be what I'm aiming for, a 150cm optiwhite. Have been looking for prices online but all seem massively expensive.
ianho said:
just read you're selling up...can i just say how much i have enjoyed this journal.

heres to another scape!

Thanks Ian that's great coming from you mate it really is. I so don't want to get rid. At this rate it's going to have to come across anyway as I'm not getting much interest at present. Having an Empty tank just sat there is punishment in itself and ill be fighting twitchy fingers!!! I'm going to have to have some willpower to not start something with it again lol.
foxfish said:
I could not agree more,what a great thread you made, here's to the next project complete with sump :clap:
Thanks mate. I didn't realise it was liked as much. Your pushing me for a sump aren't you lol.

I'd like to thank everyone though for the interest shown in this tank, and really don't want it to go. It may get turned into a new scape whilst funds are saved for a 150 optiwhite if I still have it when I've moved.

Thanks to you all. It's down to help and all the info off here that I have all the knowledge and the capability to grow algae free plants.

Lets just get this straight ? You are NOT selling up as in giving up right ? At least you better not be :( Just flogging bits and plants till you are ready to do the new tank ? Alastair, just get the Optiwhite on your plastic mate. You have spent enough moving I am sure so another chunk wont hurt ;) Your current tank will sell eventually. You know you can't sit there twiddling your thumbs. Your last tank was awesome and I reckon you would do wonders with a decent size OW :) But just dont sell all your kit at silly money until you know what you might need. :thumbup: I have seen people sell all their stuff with the intention of getting all new, and then never get back into it to the level they were at !! (Actually I am talking about myself. When I moved to New Zealand I had just set up a 4'x2'x2' marine with Giesemann halides with moonphase and everything, a Deltec AP850 skimmer, tunze pumps, it was the gnats nuts. Flogged it all for half what I paid for it and never set another reef tank up again. Only now, 9 years on, am I able to start running a semi serious tank, and even this is kind of on a shoestring). Best of luck though, just dont make any rash decisions just to make the house move easier.

Antipofish said:
Lets just get this straight ? You are NOT selling up as in giving up right ? At least you better not be :( Just flogging bits and plants till you are ready to do the new tank ? Alastair, just get the Optiwhite on your plastic mate. You have spent enough moving I am sure so another chunk wont hurt ;) Your current tank will sell eventually. You know you can't sit there twiddling your thumbs. Your last tank was awesome and I reckon you would do wonders with a decent size OW :) But just dont sell all your kit at silly money until you know what you might need. :thumbup: I have seen people sell all their stuff with the intention of getting all new, and then never get back into it to the level they were at !! (Actually I am talking about myself. When I moved to New Zealand I had just set up a 4'x2'x2' marine with Giesemann halides with moonphase and everything, a Deltec AP850 skimmer, tunze pumps, it was the gnats nuts. Flogged it all for half what I paid for it and never set another reef tank up again. Only now, 9 years on, am I able to start running a semi serious tank, and even this is kind of on a shoestring). Best of luck though, just dont make any rash decisions just to make the house move easier.

Well I can proudly say that for the time being, the tank will be moving with me and kept for a few months whilst funds for a 150 or 180 optiwhite get saved up. I'm sensible in that I don't allow myself plastic so I pay as I go in theory ha ha.
However the tank will be having a new layout done, possibly keeping the wood but going for an island look, like James Finley's at TGM but without Big stems etc. I'm not giving too much away for now, but ive had a few people say to not get rid,. So I'm being sensible for once. Had a good chinwag with Westy today too about the idea of a new scape so will be practically giving away most of the plants if not all, and keeping just a bit of the sp Japan and glosso. All the moss in the tank is taken though unfortunately.
What a pain it's going to be moving it though grrrrr

sanj said:
I'm sensible in that I don't allow myself plastic so I pay as I go in theory ha ha.

Smart lad, I wish I had that self control. :D

Ha ha. On that thought, when's your journal getting updated sanj

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back