• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Recommendations for external filter in 125L

Its a beast of a little filter. It's only been running 2 weeks, so I expect it to loose some flow. But I have read around and people are saying that they tend to keep there flow rate. Well worth the money!

Antipofish said:
Matty1983 said:
My dream filter would be a fluval g6. I just wish they would do a more powerful model!

Thats exactly why I didnt get one. 750lph !!! Its pants.
The G3 has an actual flow rate of 700lph. Probably more than the TetraTex EX1200.
The G6 has an actual flow rate of 1000lph. Probably more than the JBL 1500e.

You can usually knock about 50% of the manufacturers claimed flow rates as these are the maximum possible generated directly from the pump under no load whatsoever.

ps, if you look at my vid of the JBLe700, i can squirt my missus with water when i'm changing my water. It's a great reason to buy one.

George Farmer said:
Antipofish said:
Matty1983 said:
My dream filter would be a fluval g6. I just wish they would do a more powerful model!

Thats exactly why I didnt get one. 750lph !!! Its pants.
The G3 has an actual flow rate of 700lph. Probably more than the TetraTex EX1200.
The G6 has an actual flow rate of 1000lph. Probably more than the JBL 1500e.

You can usually knock about 50% of the manufacturers claimed flow rates as these are the maximum possible generated directly from the pump under no load whatsoever.

Hi George, I am sure you are stating those figures because you have tested them, but why would fluval state 750lph as the flow rate for the G6 when it actually does more ? I have never known a manufacturer to understate a spec. :wideyed: Wish I had known that now, LOL. Still I am well happy with my 2075 and its got the plants swaying nicely. Not too much not too little. So works well for my 175L tank.

I do like all the extra features that the G6 has though. It really IS a fancy piece of kit.

I would like to defend the JBL e1500 though, as I was running that on my tank last week and it measured a good 1300lph out of the outlet hose. In fact it was so powerful I had to crank it down a little. (JBL are the only manufacturers I know who actually state you are safe to do this as long as its not by more than 50%. Not that I would want to try that out, but I think a marginal flow reduction would be OK). I know you said "probably" (what a Carlsberg), but I believe the JBL e1500 to be better than that. Well, mine at least ;) Each filter is different and it depends on what media you have too though, length of pipework, additional equipment etc.

Thanks a lot for the feedback all

I forgot to mention that i already have a Koralia pump 900 l/h so flow at the moment is not an issue, it's purely the performance of an internal filter against an external. If i decide to go external i'll most probably get rid of the circ pump and buy a filter which can turn over at least 1200 l/h anyway.

Antipofish:
I got your message but i can't reply because my post count is too low. Can you send me the link once you've listed it and i'll definitely have a look into it. Thanks!

Antipofish said:
...but why would fluval state 750lph as the flow rate for the G6 when it actually does more ?
I don't know where you've got your info from but it's incorrect.

Check it out -

http://www.fluval-g.com/filterspecs_e.php

In summary the G6 has a pump output of 2460lph, and actual filter circulation of 1000lph. I would personally be happy with that in an aquarium up to around 300 litres.

In the JBL CristalProfi manual it gives both the 'idle' pumping capacity without hoses or filter material and also the more realistic capacity with filter material and a hose of 1.5m. The reduction is 40-60%. So a 1501GL will produce more like 800-900 l/h.

I imagine this happens with all filter brands and the 10x aquarium volume turnover rule takes this into account no?

George Farmer said:
Antipofish said:
...but why would fluval state 750lph as the flow rate for the G6 when it actually does more ?
I don't know where you've got your info from but it's incorrect.

Check it out -

http://www.fluval-g.com/filterspecs_e.php

In summary the G6 has a pump output of 2460lph, and actual filter circulation of 1000lph. I would personally be happy with that in an aquarium up to around 300 litres.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: I got it from the dopey prune who was selling one !!! I guess he got his numbers wrong. He lost the sale cos I thought the glow was no good. Should'a asked the Guru eh ? LOL. Thanks for clearing that up. I know what I will look for on my next upgrade.

George Farmer said:
I've heard the Eheim is also a great filter so it's not like you've wasted your cash. Proabably quieter than the G6 too.

Im happy with it George. As you have probably guessed, I am a bit of a techno geek. (without the wallet to facilitate !). The Eheim is uber quiet I have to say. And I thought my JBL was good. Interesting that you should say the G6 is not quite as quiet as the Eheim. Is there any documentation of dB levels ? Not that it matters :)

Back