• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tom's 60P - Goodbye plants, hello Goldfish

Re: Tom's 60P build - I'm back on this!

Grey material ? Really ? A beautiful ADA tank, a cabinet that now looks awesome, and you are going to put material on the front of it to make it look like some 1970's retro kitchen cupboard space where someone can't afford doors and puts an old tablecloth on a net curtain wire across it instead ? OK, I am kidding a bit with you, but I honestly think it will detract from the great look you have achieved so far, and I urge you to consider other options.;)

Re: Tom's 60P build - I'm back on this!

In place and Arcadia hung :)

IMG_5500.jpg

Re: Tom's 60P build - Ready to go

I read the earlier stands build thread the other day, why did you switch from ply to mdf for this one?

Thanks,
John

p.s looking ace.

I prefer working with MDF as it doesn't chip, split and go rough at the edges. It's smoother to cut and rub down. Saying that, next time I'd probably try Ply again ;)

I have just picked up another half sheet of MDF to make the door, and possibly a brace. As there's no support at the front, it's bowing outwards slightly. Not for long.

To save me looking up the other thread before I run down to check the ply ive got in the basement, what was the thickness you used in the previous cabinet? :)

Nice frosted glass doors would look great on that.... Nice new FE there I see. Where did you get it and what size ? :)

Frosted would look good, I did think about it. I'm also thinking about frosting the rear of the tank (just the film stuff), as I have a twin socket behind it :/

The FE is just an exchanged one from our local Flameskill guy in Hadleigh, but it it fairly shiny. It's 2kg.

Tom said:
Frosted would look good, I did think about it. I'm also thinking about frosting the rear of the tank (just the film stuff), as I have a twin socket behind it :/

The FE is just an exchanged one from our local Flameskill guy in Hadleigh, but it it fairly shiny. It's 2kg.

That would link in nicely, frosting the back and the doors. You could get some regular toughened glass or laminated (I never know which, lol) and put the same frosting on them as on the tank ? Hope you didnt mind my comment about the home made curtain, LOL.

How much do you pay to exchange your FE's ?

I don't mind the comments, no worries! You were probably right, hence I bought more wood. The new pieces have been sealed and had their first top-coat. Will rub them down tomorrow evening and get another coat on. I've got a vertical brace for the front as well as a horizontal one for the bottom (similar to the top strip), and a door which will be fitted with magnets so it can be removed fully. Hopefully this way with the braces it will stop any movement or bowing. Next time will use 18mm.

The FE cost £10 last time for 2kg, but apparently it's normally £20. Not sure why he did it cheap this time round.

Tom said:
I don't mind the comments, no worries! You were probably right, hence I bought more wood. The new pieces have been sealed and had their first top-coat. Will rub them down tomorrow evening and get another coat on. I've got a vertical brace for the front as well as a horizontal one for the bottom (similar to the top strip), and a door which will be fitted with magnets so it can be removed fully. Hopefully this way with the braces it will stop any movement or bowing. Next time will use 18mm.

The FE cost £10 last time for 2kg, but apparently it's normally £20. Not sure why he did it cheap this time round.

Cheers Tom :) Oh and one more question, do you pay a deposit on the cylinder ?

Tom said:

CRACKING Tank (excuse the pun, which I hope is not a prediction, LOL). I am now considering getting an optiwhite to replace my aquience !!! I bloody KNEW this hobby was gonna be expensive.

Tom what glassware is that on there ?

Back