• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ram with HITH again

mark4785

During December 2011, I bought a dainty female german blue ram from an aquatic store. Up on getting home with the fish I noticed that it did not have the ability to eat any form of food, possibly because all the other cichlids in the aquatic shop tank were feeding first, thus it had never learned to eat. Secondly, I noticed two small white spots on it's forehead which I diagnosed has being hole in the head syndrome. The fishes head eroded away and it died within a matter of weeks stuck to the powerhead intake grill. The female GBR was replaced and the replacement remains healthy.

A male ram which was in the tank with the female ram remained healthy, up until yesterday when I noticed two small white spots on his head which again is hole in the head syndrome.

It may be important to note that prior to buying the GBR pair, I had a single male GBR in the aquarium who died at the age of 2 years and 6 months from HITH. I believe he caught HITH as a result of low immunity associated with old age.

I'd just like some feedback from the UKAPS with regards to what is causing my GBR's to develop HITH, here are the options that come to mind:

1. HITH is being caused by a vitamin deficiency; a characteristic of a GBR with HITH is that it goes off it's favourite food and starts eating something different. The male GBR currently with HITH refuses to eat flake food and chooses to eat pellet; this has been the case since day 1. The healthy female currently in the tank, however, eats anything that fits in her mouth. So my question is, given that the male is picky, was it developing HITH while in the aquatic store and on day 1 during which it was in my aquarium?

2. High nitrate; my nitrate level is between 40 and 60 ppm as needed to run a relatively high light planted aquarium. My singular male GBR (mentioned above) survived for 1 year and 6 months in this high nitrate environment. In addition, the current female GBR is so at home in these conditions that she is repeatidily depositing eggs!

3. Infection transmission; did the HITH transfer from the unhealthy female Ram or the singular male Ram to my current male GBR?

4. Stressors; the current male GBR repeatidly chases after my corydoras; especially when the female GBR is depositing eggs.

In addition, I'd be appreciative if somebody could recommend a good form of treatment for HITH. I have placed a HITH treatment by Esha in the aquarium and I am currently injecting blood worm with metronidazole and feeding it to the male GBR.

The only thing that is creating a dilemma is whether or not I should drop the nitrate level to 5 ppm, cover the aquarium up and disable the lights for a couple of days and dose the water with a vitamin supplement. Note: the reason for disabling the lights is due to the fact that photosynthesis in the plants won't function very well with very little nitrate as i'm sure UKAPS members already know!

Mark.

I've read before on other forums that discus can sometimes develop this especially in tanks using lots of carbon all the time. Maybe rams do too? Are you using carbon?
If I can find the link I'll stick it on as I only read it the othe day :0/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alastair said:
I've read before on other forums that discus can sometimes develop this especially in tanks using lots of carbon all the time. Maybe rams do too? Are you using carbon?
If I can find the link I'll stick it on as I only read it the othe day :0/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard of this too but there is no carbon media in my aquarium.

Back