• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

in what order for the tubes

Dan-CR4

I am buying some tubes from lampspecs and buying 2x 39w grolux and 2x 39w 958 Bio Vital.
in what order should I have them. would I put the 2 grolux at the back and 2 bio vitals at the front, or alternate them from back to front.

It really doesn't matter which way round you have them. Try them either way and see which way looks best but there probably won't be a lot of difference. If iwas doing it I would probably alternat them.

thanks for the reply, I was not sure if one way would be better than another for plants. Think I will alternate them and see how things go.

Be careful using BioVitals over an aquarium. I tried it as an experiment a few years back. They contain a small amount of UV-B and UV-A, however it's enough to provoke algae growth within the upper parts of the tank. I replaced mine within a few months (got them over vivs now).

Like others on here, I found the absolute best combination to be GroLux with Osram Skywhites. This is probably too late though. :lol:

Ade

Wolfenrook said:
Be careful using BioVitals over an aquarium. I tried it as an experiment a few years back. They contain a small amount of UV-B and UV-A, however it's enough to provoke algae growth within the upper parts of the tank. I replaced mine within a few months (got them over vivs now).

Like others on here, I found the absolute best combination to be GroLux with Osram Skywhites. This is probably too late though. :lol:

Ade

I did email lampspecs before I ordered as I did want the skywhites but they had no stock of the 39 watts and lampspecs said
Unfortunately all the manufacturers we used to get the 8000K lamps from have stopped manufacturing them.
Also I was getting the same as james planted tank website as thought they would be ok as it said that
Philips de Luxe Pro T5 965 Fluorescent Tube 54W (Known as Colour 96 on Lamp Specs website)
which is what I ordered but in 39w (so I thought), ok will have to keep an eye on it and hope for the best o_O

As the skywhites are no longer being made, anyone reccomend another combination to go with the grolux.

The Philips 965s should be fine. My understanding is they don't contain the UV component that Narva BioVitals do. Lampspecs also sell the Philips Activiva natural, which is an 8,000k like the Skywhite was. I'm confused by the wattages however, as they don't match up to T5HO standard wattages (24, 39, 54, 80), really strange wattages, even on the HE ones.

Hopefully I wont get shot for saying this, but it might be worth waiting to see the new Arcadia Freshwater Pro. Now please folks, don't shoot me for actually suggesting a hobby branded bulb... I am doing so because I got the chance to try a couple pre-release. Given that the Skywhites aren't available now, a few people might quite like them. They're 6,700k, but the light is a LOT less yellow than an 865 or a BioVital, and colour rendition is really good. Judge for yourself, these are of a viv, not an aquarium, but will give you the gist.

865+Narva Biovital

DSCF3254-497-700-600-80.jpg

Quite a yellow hue, including to the human eye I found.

Ok, need to use 2 pics to demonstrate the FWP. The first is using 2 FWPs, but the doors are filthy and they were just too dazzling used together:-

FWPFWP-579-1024-1024-80.jpg

The next one is a better shot, but in this instance the left hand tube is a D3 6% UV Reptile lamp:-

DSCF3484-603-1024-1024-80.jpg

They both have a very similar output visually however, and you can see they are a lot less yellow looking. I can't however comment how well they will do for plant growth, as only just fitted them. Plus this is on a viv, not an aquarium.

I am not for one second saying these are better for plant growth, not for one second. My liking of them is purely based on the visual side of things. Plant growth wise, there are lots of much cheaper tubes you can use. Heck for ages I used GroLux and 865s before swtiching to GroLux and 880s as I got fed up of the golden hue. lol All I am doing is putting the idea out there.

Are they worth £16 and up? That's up to the person buying them really. I have ALWAYS used cheaper tubes in the past, and always slated Arcadia aquarium lighting, until I saw these new ones in the flesh. I still can't put my hand on my heart and say they are worth the cost, as to me sure, but to somebody else they'd laugh me out of the room. ;)

Ade

Back