• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which Crypts are the smallest ones ??

A

Antipofish

Hi, I want to have a couple of different cryptos in my tank, which types are not likely to get too high ? Im thinking no taller than 10cm ???

awtong said:
Crypt Parva is a small green variety that grows 5-10cm as does crypt Wendtii green and Wendtii Tropica. A lot of others are between 10-25cm in height.

Andy

Thanks Andy, does the Wendtii brown grow the same as the green ?

Antipofish said:
Thanks Andy, does the Wendtii brown grow the same as the green ?

I'm pretty sure, I've read somewhere that the brown grows bigger than the green, with the green staying more compact.

I did keep brown in a low tech tank and the stem part below the leaves grew really long (probably around 15cm). Did not stay compact and looked pretty ugly really. I had it midground and had to remove it - perhaps if it were positioned in the background, with midground plants hiding the stems sections , it would have looked ok?

Just my experience though, not sure how this might pan out under high - tech conditions

I have Crypt Tropica currently and really like this. Stays really nice and compact. :thumbup:

does the Wendtii brown grow the same as the green ? Yes, just a different colour upto 30cm

Cryptocoryne amicorum - 10-15cm
Cryptocoryne legroi - 15cm
Cryptocoryne walkeri - 12cm

These are about the smallest crypts i can find that are readilly available in the UK.

Hi,

According to the Tropica site brown Wendtii does get bigger than the green one but aquaessentials website states they both grow to 30cm. My brown ones are bigger than my green but they are older more established plants. It would make more sense if the only variation is the colour then they should get to the same size!

In my tank the Amicorum appears to be growing bigger than the Parva and is pushing the upper end of the stated size. This could just be because it is quicker growing in my very low tech system than the parva is. Parva is the only crypt I have in my tank that hasnt changed leaf shape.

This certainly gives you choices to research.

Andy

I've found with regular trimming leaf size will reduce slightly also so ave never really had a problem with oversized crypts, unlike some damn swords.

All will depend how you trim them guys. Hack them down totally and they all regrow much shorter. Basically all plants.

Piece-of-fish said:
All will depend how you trim them guys. Hack them down totally and they all regrow much shorter. Basically all plants.

Thats interesting to know cheers. Does the same apply to crypts that 'melt' when put in a new tank ?

Yes, I have not tried to cut them right after planting yet but think it could be done. I had crypts appearing in the tank from nowhere from roots I beleive also

Back