• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Vallisneria nana - any experience

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
Hi folks,

Anyone grown this newer variety of Vallisneria yet?

I like the fine leaf structure but am unsure as to height and demands.

I have 1wpg, hard water, CO2, good substrate and water column ferts. Enough for good pearling anyway....

I've read the info on the Tropica site. Personal experiences, please.

I had V. nana in a scape thats no longer, it was a great plant and definatly the best of the Vallis sp i've had.

It speads quickly but the new plants stay quite small 6-8" and do seem to take a while till they send out long 12"+ leaves.

Those shots were from interzoo in Germany. I was there, fantastic show, wish we had one as good as that in the uk!
Sorry for the off topic. :rolleyes:

The lighting was 2 x 24w t5, (1x6500k, 1x aquamedic plant tube) for 10hrs a day and 1x150w for 4hrs. The tank was about 25g The plants did reach the surface of the tank which was 15" in height.

The scape was my first attempt at a high tech scape and wasn't all that successful and i'd say the plants didn't reach there potential, i'm sure with your skill they will do better than they did for me and will give you the height you require, the tropica lables say the grow to 30-80cm.

for the sake of information i thought i'd update on my experience.

It appears to take a while to get settled with a few leafs dying off early on. High direct light appears to ensure it grows higher. The new leafs are a fair bit broader than the old ones (presumably emersed).

I havent noticed any runners yet but its only been a week or so since it took off.

I've found that my leaves are about 20". I grow it in hardwater with no CO2 and no ferts with less than 1WPG, it grows well in Onyx sand.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the difference between V.nana and the 'normal' V.spiralis? The pictures and the height info seems to suggest it's a similar size (IME anyway).

beeky said:
Forgive my ignorance, but what's the difference between V.nana and the 'normal' V.spiralis? The pictures and the height info seems to suggest it's a similar size (IME anyway).

V. nana has much thiner, slender leaves than V. spiralis.

Back