• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Show Us Your Rare And Odd Fish!

Kristoph91

Hi guys,

If you have any weird, rare or special fish - lets see 'em :D
Nice to have a look at what people have got :D

Kris

you know the saying.... you show us yours.....LOL All I have is dwarf neon rainbowfish and a few ottos so nothing really rare, although I do think the ottos in particular are rather special :0

Haha If I would I could Antipofish, the only slightly rare fish I have is a cobalt blue goby! And he's back home in my 30L. Yeah well Ottos are special wee lads I guess :)
I think I saw that Awtong, Is it a plec? :D

Kris

This is my special little man:

Inthesandbythestones.jpg

Mushroominthesand.jpg

Not the best photo, but you can see his markings in this one. When he's out of the sand, he's rarely still enough for a decent pic!
100_2089.jpg

He's called Mushroom and he's a Takifugu Ocellatus. Care is a bit of guesswork really! He's not the easiest fish in the world to look after, as no one can say for certain what the best conditions for one in an aquarium are. I've had him about 6 months now and touch wood, he's doing well so far.

And this is "Gucci" the L257;
100_1882scaled.jpg

Sadly not with me any more :( I seem to be able to manage a complicated puffer, but difficult to feed catfish are a little out of my league.

Christie_ZXR they're some nice photos! So what exactly do you feed the puffed then? He's pretty cool I must say though !
Thanks for the input

Kris

KrisHumphreys1991 said:
Haha If I would I could Antipofish, the only slightly rare fish I have is a cobalt blue goby! And he's back home in my 30L. Yeah well Ottos are special wee lads I guess :)
I think I saw that Awtong, Is it a plec? :D

Kris

Yeh he is a "plec" L128. Had him for a good while. They are fairly expensive and he is a very slow grower! I also have a chocolate zebra and 5 leopard frog peckoltia of varying ages and sizes.

Andy

Haha you aren't the only one who noticed that Andy! "crouching tiger, hidden puffer" :)
Is it true that some of the L number plecs eat wood?
Kris

Plec's and wood is a much discussed subject. Many are recommended to be kept with wood. Panaque's have been found to have wood in the gut but these fish are grazers they have a fairly fast digestive tract. It is thought they are actually consuming algae and micro-organisms found on the wood rather than the wood itself. There are scientific studies now being undertaken to see if they are actually digesting the wood. Some catfish algae tabs have lignin (found in wood and some algae) added to them for the health of the fish. Mine tend to browse on the wood and don't really eat it.

Andy

That's pretty interesting, lignin is to bind the wood cells together I think? Maybe it has some special effect on the digestive organisms...

Feeding's a bit of a pain with the puff, he has to have thaimanese-free foods for the most part. I give him cockles as his staple, always soaked in vitazin vitamins first. He also gets the odd mussel and bloodworms, but pretty rarely. Nutritionally, from what I can tell, Locusts would be an ideal diet. But having seen him eat a locust once, never trying it again!

I'd never looked at that pic that way, but now it's mentioned, he really does look like he's up to no good and he's hiding!

Christie_ZXR What did he do to the locust :O
BigTom, they're pretty cool :D Never seen them before!

Kris.

Um, he bit its bum off. Which isn't as funny to see as it sounds! He didn't kill it. Had to whip it out quick and feed it to the fig 8, who is a murderous sod anyway, so it got put out of it's misery quick enough.
Sadly, no one sells frozen locusts, and I'm not brave enough to bop them on the heads myself. Although if I can ever talk the o/h into doing it, I will try him on them properly. We've got reptiles, so we've always got plenty in the house.

Oh jesus thats a bit sick alright haha. The figure 8 had no problem chomping it then ?
Lol.
could you freeze them yourself from live ?

I'd feel too mean freezing them! Death by freezer can't be too pleasant. The fig 8 chomped it down in no time, seemed quite happy about it!

Didn't know you could get frozen locusts, where have you seen them? Could be worth a go. Just as long as nothing's been added to them.

Two pages of a show us your rare or odd fish thread and only two fish ! LOL

Back