• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to approach a LFS about their lack of plants?

spyder

I've been thinking about this for a while. One of my larger LFS's, (stuck in a garden centre), is not really moving with the times. This means for me, a good 2-3 hour round trip to visit places that stock Aquafleur and Tropica pots.

The LFS in question stocks Cabomba, twisted vallis, Elodea and non aquatic species. The same species they were stocking 25-30 years ago. They have a display tank with co2 (which has run out), dead plants and non aquatics. They are really missing out in this area. The display tank was a lower corner tank located where nobody actually looks at it.

They have the space and are constantly upgraing other departments but the poor old aquatics section is still missing a good range of healthy plants and some nice looking display tanks, that they do have ample space for. It also strikes me as weird as they sell expensive co2 kits, refills, but no drop checkers, no liquid carbon products, no co2 tubing or diffusers.

Any advice on how to best approach the management in this situation?

It certainly does seem a little catch 22.

I've read through that thread in the past, at the time of reading I didn't feel confident enough to setup a display tank for a LFS, now I wouldn't mind, I can grow healthy plants, it's pulling everything together to create a captivating display to work on next.

Maybe they are happy selling what they are selling to their customers who no doubt come back for some more week after week. Good profits right? Satisfied customers? Doubt it. :(

My biggest frustration is lack of information on what you are buying. Before I discovered this site I dread to think how much cash I wasted on unsuitable plants because many of the places I used didn't even have the plants marked up with the name. For the experienced person its not so much of a problem but for a novice, like me, its essential or you buy stuff that dies within a month. You then go round the loop again, then blame the shop and then buy plastic :lol:

Many places are really good these days with giving you livestock information on the tanks, but buying plants can be pot luck for the inexperienced and a quick turn off for wanting a planted tank.

Why not buy the plants your self, get them to provide the tank and hardscape, plus co2, ferts and the like. Do a nice and simple scape and let them see comments from the customers. :)

I'm really getting geared up to go and ask to speak to the manager of the aquatics section now. Will print off some pics of my 125, not breathtaking I agree, but green, red and healthy without algae.

I almost feel like I have gone through much of the organizing for them. They have an old marine display tank that has seen better days utilising the ideal spot for a tiered plant stock tank along with a display scape or two. This would also in turn free up 20-30ish stock tanks that they dump the melting stock into weekly.

As they seem keen on investing and improving other area's I'm hoping they will bite the bullet and I can have fresh plants a bit more local to me.

I approached the manager of the aquatics section yesterday and although he was kinda listening I could tell what he was thinking. His eyes were wandering around and replies were mostly, "yeah, ah ha, hmm" etc. My offer of planting and maintaining a display tank was rejected before I could explain anything. I didn't get chance to snap and print a good shot of my tank so I didn't have that to use in my favor.

Guess I will take my hard earned cash and spend it elsewhere.

Ironically, I overheard a customer talking about planting out a discus tank, as the sales assistant was filling a large bag with many variegated Dracaena's. I guess there's more profit in it for them, that's why they don't care and continue selling unsuitable species. :(

Overall, I got shot down very quickly and there's obviously no way in the near future I could buy a pot of Hemianthus Callitrchoides from them.

Gutted :(

A shame that he didn't even give you time for a propper chat. As you say, there's a queue of people waiting to be ill informed.

There is a lot of profit from selling the nom aquatic plants, much more than probably selling co2 and such planted tanks aparatus.

I think that is the reason the planted tank scene is such a hard thing to get to the local shops. :)

Just vote with your feet, buy somewhere else. :)

I don't know why but I find it really frustrating, watching them giving bad advice to customers.

The person I spoke to had never heard of UKaps, TGM or ADA. This is a manager of an aquatic section in a large independant garden centre.

I like to visit LFS's that stock decent plants and have a clue about what they are doing, but as in my opening post, it's like a day trip.

I won't give up. I will go back with a photo next weekend and my contact details incase anything changes.

I know what you mean mate. Many times I`ve overheard conversations in LFS that begger belief. The un-Informed general public getting bent over and..... Being sold incompatible Fauna, and Flora that will never stand a chance in little Johnny`s Spongebob Square Pants aquarium. As for the mark up on dry goods, well don`t even get me started. :lol: I was stood next to a couple last weekend buying replacement tubes for their 60ltr Juwel. Two 24watt tubes £48... :woot: You want to intervene but feel that it`s not your place.

I am really lucky in that I have a fantastic local family run LFS near me. The owner is a hobbyist and fanatical about planted aquaria just like us. He is well aware of Ukaps and lurks here I think. I remember him actually stopping me from buying plants when I had just started out. He gave me good advice, and pointed me in the right direction in regards to my set up and what would be best suited. We are now on first name terms and trade livestock and plants. Sorry mate, don`t mean to rub it in. Just wanted to reassure you that there are good, honest, genuine retailers out there, just a shame they are so few and far between! :(

Back