• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

IAPLC 2011 winner interview...

Great read Iain :thumbup: ...great scape also.
The idea of continuous water movement as been around in various guises for a while.
This chap has grabbed the nettle and shown it can be done.
Well done to him...its similar to something that Ive been mulling about in my head for a few years.
Drilled tanks with on/off valves etc for easier water changes...practically the same principle but his will be hooked up to the water supply and the waste pipe.
I wonder if he uses water conditioner....suppose he may use a dosing pump to add dechlorinator.
hoggie

Call me a cynic but I expected to read something like, "I copied the 2010 IAPLC Grand Champion but added a path and a few rocks". :lol:

gpworks10.jpg

6388307.jpg

'Cynic'
..... clearly the 2011 winners 'forest' has MORE TREES, and a path and a few rocks! :lol:
... and actually some fish in fairness to him.

George Farmer said:
Call me a cynic but I expected to read something like, "I copied the 2010 IAPLC Grand Champion but added a path and a few rocks". :lol:

gpworks10.jpg

6388307.jpg
Well. In IAPLC rules of entry they say that remarkably similar works to aquascapes that enter previous editions of IAPLC will be subject to point deduction. Now call me cynic too, but second place does not seem to be much of a point deduction to me.
And I certainly do not buy the non Photoshop picture statement. Two studio lights can hardly be sufficient to get a good picture of a huge aquarium.
Now I am going to some natural disaster place as well to fetch my inspiration.

I kinda like it. I do prefer it over last years entry.

You can tell that very little light has been used for the final image.

It's also good to see a tank do well without such an uber quality capture. I mean...look at the background....grey with a white line across the top.

However, i'm not looking forward to the 2012 competition. The judging sends shivers down my spine.

I always wonder how these tanks would look like in real life...the angle of the pics make them look good. But in real life i reckon they would look pretty rubbish.

stuworrall said:
clonitza said:
Unfortunately that's not the winning scape this one is:
0001w.jpg
theres a great interview with that one here

http://peleblogs.blogspot.com/2012/02/en-el-foco-delicate-world-de-long-tran.html?m=1

he used steel bars to build it :)
I have seen many judges making comments about unstable looking rocks in aquascapes. Now they make this kind of unnatural looking rock layout first place. I must be vey stupid, but I really don't get it.
ADA says that it is Aquatic Plants Layout Contest, but the last edition looks to me much more of an Aquatic Rocks and Trees Layout Contest.
The emphasis is going to far on the hardscape side and puts the live plants and fish somewhat behind.
It is just confusing to me that's all.

I still like the winner from 2010 much more.

Well now that the trend is on, wanna guess what will be this years winner? The judges have a say on the 1st 200, but then it is public votes.

Hardscapes will feature heavily I would think, and so will iwagumis, and the majority of entrants are from Asia.

Let's just say that I got a Japanese Garden book. :D

Luis I don't think that making an Asian scape will get you awarded more, you'd better buy a book on photo composition. :)
I love Long Tran Hoang's scape (#1) and also Cliff Hui's (#4) and was one entry I don't know why it was ranked so high (won't tell which one). Hope I'll be able to enter one this year, if not, well, there's always next year.

Mike

clonitza said:
Luis I don't think that making an Asian scape will get you awarded more, you'd better buy a book on photo composition. :)
I love Long Tran Hoang's scape (#1) and also Cliff Hui's (#4) and was one entry I don't know why it was ranked so high (won't tell which one). Hope I'll be able to enter one this year, if not, well, there's always next year.

Mike

Hi Mike.. it was joke.. :) but I still think that asian layouts will get ranking high. I like them.. :)

A book about photography composition would not go amiss. I am crap at that, and for sure need to learn, not just for aquascaping, but also for my other hobbies.

ghostsword said:
Well now that the trend is on, wanna guess what will be this years winner?
Would have been nice if the trend was mentioned in the rules of entry as well, so if people would like to compete to know what they are up against.

correct me if im wrong isnt the judging now done so the top 500 are chosen, then those are split down to the top 200 by the judges, then the previous 500 are the 'public' votes and not all entrants voting..??
Maybe i remember incorrectly...

Either way it'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

Back