• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Flickr vs Photobucket

Ian Holdich

I have just signed up to Flickr, i don't know why, just for a change lol. I have found the pics when uploaded to Flickr to be more clear and crisp. Is there an obvious difference between the two photo storage sites??

I uploaded this a few weeks back with Photobucket and it didn't look half as clear as it does with Flickr

6587489043_98325e5b01.jpg
Hygrophila 'rosvig' by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

I know there is a file limit on the free Flickr which is a pain in the backside...is this the reason why?

If that is the case, i'll change right away.

I currently use photobucket, but if flickr is better, count me in on the change.

here's my test....same image, same dimensions.

Flickr....

6587655327_b090fb4f1d_b.jpg
wet-fly by saintly's pics, on Flickr

photobucket...

wet-fly-1.jpg

hahaha!

I don't know whether it has anything to do with the compression of the pics??

I wonder whether this is why you oly get a small amount of space free as well.

edit...Flickr is deffo sharper. :thumbup:

I feel that Flickr does some sorta post processing - mostly sharpening. But Flickr has an upload limit for free accounts. So I have a Flickr account for showing off and a Photobucket for the rest.

Mark your ealrier Macro lens will kick our ass in our remaining life i bet ;) Whenever i see shots from you with this makes me feel i know nothing about photography ;) It's really hurt ;)

Brilliant image, one more vote for flickr. Also much better service behind that from the social side. Go for Pro account especially with images like this Mark. ;)

With free theres a size limitation too as i know. With Pro you can upload the original file too.

Flickr is nice for running a portfolio add free and of course for doing a bit of networking.
The 200 limit is only for the stream but you can upload more and the older will be kept but not shown unless you go for the pro account which comes also with the ability to add lager format photos (a thing I don't like to use for various reasons)

58 (500px) is yet another option to be considered.

Mike

Tom said:
Really? How?

Flickr is definitely better.

http://www.flickr.com/help/forum/65796/?search=bt

You can make this change yourself. Go <a href=http://www.flickr.com/account/. here and choose "Use A Different Yahoo! ID for this account" Change your Yahoo! ID to the BT Broadband/Yahoo! ID and it should change automatically after a couple hours.

If that doesn't do the trick, you'll need to send a Help By Email request to Flickr. Staff won't contact you first.

Just signed up to it (or logged in as it seems I already had an account??!) Will try it for a few weeks but going by what I have read here I wont be going back to P.B :)

It must be my screen because against all the odds re the two wet fly pictures photobucket is sharper has more defintion away from the centre of the pic. ie the front leg is sharper and clearer from PB and the green of the fly's back is sharper and greener.
I have used pb for years now and dont see me changing.
I have around three hundred pics of car restoration and laning trips in 4x4. Its easy to upload costs nothing and has never dropped any pictures of mine although other people have complained about that.

Back