• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Andyh's ADA 60P Cube Garden UPDATED 15-07-12

Re: Andyh's ADA 60P Cube Garden UPDATED 12-02-12

nice layout Andy, looks a lot bigger than it really is, good depth.

Re: Andyh's ADA 60P Cube Garden UPDATED 11-01-12

andyh said:
Update 12th Feb

Its been a month since my last update so here is a few pics. Everything growing well, just a little BBA on the hardscape, but i have reduced light levels by increasing the height of my light and concentrated on my CO2.

Here you go:

6866018651_e3d697a2ec_b.jpg
Full Tank Shot by andyh_2011, on Flickr

Hi Andy,
the tank is looking great and the growth is clear to see.
I really like the layout and was searching the internet for inspiration for my next scape, and came across this by the hungarian aquascaper Hunar Orban - Forgotten Grove.

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/competi ... ascape=224

Although plant choice differs, and you have a more central focal point with the main stem plant, the hardscaping itself is very similar. I was thinking of trying to produce something similar when i saw it and wanted to include crypts, then i came across this journal again and you have crypts within a similar concept. Its a great layout and works very well for me. Rescaping my current tank is way in the future as ive still a lot to learn, but inspirations are being drawn, your tank included! :thumbup:
Great work,
Cheerio,
Ady.

Tom said:
Very nice Andy :D
cheers dude, how is your Marine coming on?

ianho said:
nice layout Andy, looks a lot bigger than it really is, good depth.

Glad you noticed the depth is challenging in the 60p as its only 30cm front to back, but i am really happy with the way its turned out. Albeit i haven't taken one photo i am 100% happy with yet, must try harder!

Re: Andyh's ADA 60P Cube Garden UPDATED 11-01-12

Ady34 said:
andyh said:
Update 12th Feb

Its been a month since my last update so here is a few pics. Everything growing well, just a little BBA on the hardscape, but i have reduced light levels by increasing the height of my light and concentrated on my CO2.

Here you go:

6866018651_e3d697a2ec_b.jpg
Full Tank Shot by andyh_2011, on Flickr

Hi Andy,
the tank is looking great and the growth is clear to see.
I really like the layout and was searching the internet for inspiration for my next scape, and came across this by the hungarian aquascaper Hunar Orban - Forgotten Grove.

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/competi ... ascape=224

Although plant choice differs, and you have a more central focal point with the main stem plant, the hardscaping itself is very similar. I was thinking of trying to produce something similar when i saw it and wanted to include crypts, then i came across this journal again and you have crypts within a similar concept. Its a great layout and works very well for me. Rescaping my current tank is way in the future as ive still a lot to learn, but inspirations are being drawn, your tank included! :thumbup:
Great work,
Cheerio,
Ady.

Ady,
Thanks for your comments its always great to receive such genuine and interesting feedback (reminds me why i do journals), i can certainly see the similarities in the two scapes, i really like Hunar's scape it looks very cool in a bigger tank. My goal was to create an island type scape as i like the low front to mid ground as it creates a perception of depth. My needs a prune to keep the back a little lower to re-create the island effect.

The crypts in my tank are doing very well and all have to do is prune out the massive leaves once every so often to keep it looking to scale. I really like the contrast of the brown crypt against the vivid greens.

If i was to do this scape again the things i would change are:

1. Add a mid height plant at the back either side of the Rotala to help with the transition from the tennelus as at the moment it doesn't quite look quite right to me.
2. Not add as many plants in the foreground,I have HC, Hairgrass, Hydro japan, Fissidens and Glosso. I am currently trying to reduce back to hair grass and HC with the odd bit of fissidens. It just looks a little busy.
3. I would increase the height transition front to back of the substrate was 4cm to 7cm probably go 3cm to 8cm next time and use come substrate dividers to keep it in check.

Thanks for looking

Andy

SteveUK said:
Looks great Andy! :)

Ahhhhhh Steve, long time no speak my friend! Hope your well? Thanks for your comments. :thumbup:

andyh said:
Ady,
Thanks for your comments its always great to receive such genuine and interesting feedback

No problem Andy.

andyh said:
If i was to do this scape again the things i would change are:

1. Add a mid height plant at the back either side of the Rotala to help with the transition from the tennelus as at the moment it doesn't quite look quite right to me.
2. Not add as many plants in the foreground,I have HC, Hairgrass, Hydro japan, Fissidens and Glosso. I am currently trying to reduce back to hair grass and HC with the odd bit of fissidens. It just looks a little busy.
3. I would increase the height transition front to back of the substrate was 4cm to 7cm probably go 3cm to 8cm next time and use come substrate dividers to keep it in check.

It looks great to me but i do see your points.
Perhaps just add some cyperus halferi or slightly smaller Blyxa Japonica either side of the rotala to add a bit more height but blend with the tennelus. With regards the foreground, i quite like the eclectic look, it looks natural and the slightly lighter glosso leaves and hydro japan pick up the tones of the rotala and tie it all together. I think it also helps add to the illusion of depth. I can see what you mean though, especially with the simplicity of the more central crypts and rotala. With regards to the substrate, thats something im also learning. 3-8cm would probably suit this scape more like you said, and further add to the depth.
Anyway thats just nit picking really as it looks great the way it is.
Love the apistos too.
Ady.

Ady34 said:
It looks great to me but i do see your points.
Perhaps just add some cyperus halferi or slightly smaller Blyxa Japonica either side of the rotala to add a bit more height but blend with the tennelus. With regards the foreground, i quite like the eclectic look, it looks natural and the slightly lighter glosso leaves and hydro japan pick up the tones of the rotala and tie it all together. I think it also helps add to the illusion of depth. I can see what you mean though, especially with the simplicity of the more central crypts and rotala. With regards to the substrate, thats something im also learning. 3-8cm would probably suit this scape more like you said, and further add to the depth.
Anyway thats just nit picking really as it looks great the way it is.
Love the apistos too.
Ady.

Yeah i may add some plants to assist with the transition, i have always fancied a go at C.Helferi. Its due a really good trim to keep it in shape, but putting that off as i have a couple of fellow UKAPS ers coming at the weekend and i want them seeing it at its best :crazy: :geek: :woot:

Here is an in-situ shot, just took it with iPhone

6918837375_23a1f71f50_b.jpg
In-situ shot by andyh_2011, on Flickr

Thanks for looking :thumbup:

Andyh

Looking great Andy,
I see M Evans tank on the computer screen there.... i think i may have commented on that particular shot, 'artistically' describing it as 'a natural meadow, leading into and enchanted forest'! ADA calendar too?
Anyway sorry for being nosey, the tank looks 'lush' and it must be nice working on the computer with that view.

andyh said:
Its due a really good trim to keep it in shape, but putting that off as i have a couple of fellow UKAPS ers coming at the weekend and i want them seeing it at its best

Yeah theres always that transitional period straight after a trim when you wish it looked a bit fuller again!
All the best for the weekend with the UKAPS ers!
Cheerio,
Ady.

Re: Andyh's ADA 60P Cube Garden UPDATED 21-02-12

Well Guys, its been an age! Missed you all o_O :wave:

This tank has just been stripped down today, ready for a new scape. Had a really mad busy time lately but things are getting back to normal so its time for a new Scape in the 60p. I have a few ideas and my holding tanks are brimming with lots of nice things. Hoping to get playing with hardscape this week. I feel a new journal coming on.....

Alastair said:
Looking forward to a new scape mate
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Alastair, just been look at your puddle of mud! Sweeeeeeeeet Chocs are one of my fav fish! Great looking tank, keep up the good work!

KrisHumphreys1991 said:
Look forward to the next masterpiece :D

Not sure about that! but thanks for your kind words! :wave:

Back