• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Keeping Dwarf Puffers with Red Claw crabs?

Emyr

I was in my LFS today and was drawn in by how beautiful red claw crabs look in a really simple rock based scape so im going to get some for my 75L but am deciding what to put with them.

From what they said in the shop and research online the crabs can be kept with schooling fish perfectly fine. However I would love to keep them with dwarf puffers. I know puffers attack most other fish, shrimps, snails etc but don't see how they could attack crabs but then maybe they would try to attack them and get munched.

Anyone have any experience with these or thoughts on this one? Thanks.

I thought the same thing, but then most other fish including schooling fish that are apparently fine with red claw crabs because they are quick also stay nearer the bottom of the tank when sleeping.... I am very doubtful of trying it, seeing as both the crabs and puffers are expensive.

I wouldnt fancy the crabs chances, i would imagine that if the puffer cant take it in one go it will pick its legs off etc...
Also red craw crabs apparently have a habit of cutting down every plant in the tank, some get a good one though. This is what put me off.

I'd have to agree it probs wouldn't go too well I'm afraid.

You'd be amazed at what a dp can take on. When they're babies they're usually good as gold, but as soon as they mature you've had it :-s They can take chunks out of much bigger fish, and if the crabs move quite slowly, I'd reckon it would be too much for a dp to resist. When I kept them, they'd happily go for a shrimp twice their size. (fed them ghost shrimp on occasion)

haha! thats impressive. bad boy puffers. Damn. I knew it was too good a combination to be possible. I love the puffers and will have to have them in another tank at some point then, just annoying only being able to have them on their own, but worth it I think, their amazing. Going with the crabs this time though.

Yeah it's best to keep most puffers in a species only set-up.

But rather than Pygmy/Dwarf puffers, have a look at South American puffers, they get to around 10-12cm at most, so you could keep one in a 60cm tank, and are awesome little fish, saw some in my local MA and they aren't expensive, loads of character and more interesting to watch than pygmy's.

I remember when I saw a Mbu Puffer before I bought my first tank, I will have one, someday. lol

I have seen South American Puffers before and have to say I prefer the Dwarf ones. Smaller and more delicate plus I could have a few of them in the 60L, just preference.

Thats exactly the same as me, I saw one and thought, I'm going to have to have a tank with a few of those in at some point. I have a sort of list of tanks that I want to setup and keep though and its on there. The crab tank is above it and in motion now.

Back