• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

HC Woes.....

Quetzalcoatl

HI. I planted some HC last weekend and all was going well for a few days. However, I have noticed deterioration of the plant in the last couple of days. Mainly melt, and no new growth. I understand that it`s adjusting to being submerged, but is this to be expected or have I failed again with this brat?

I have Glosso, and Parvula growing in close proximity, plenty of Co2, and more than enough light. Help! :D

Give it some time. Is it putting out roots?
It`s hard to tell mate. If I look very close maybe there is evidence of runnners, but I think this may just be wishfull thinking. :(

Maybe you've got more light than you bargained for...Try adding some Excel.
I am currently adding 1 cap full daily in my 180ltr along with copious ammounts of Co2 and EI mate. As for light..I failed first time around running 2 x 39watts. I have increased lighting this time around to 3 x 39watts after concluding that the general consensus was that HC required more light! :rolleyes:

Flow is courtesy of a G6, and a Eheim 2026 connected to a AM reactor running 4 Bps. Dosing full Ei with additional Excel so looks like I`m sound for flow, gas, and ferts. Maybe light is where I`m going wrong then? Thing is, everything else in my tank is doing well. Including Stellata, and Glosso. Would removing a bulb not "upset the apple cart" so to speak?

Could substrate be causing me problems. I have it planted in Molar clay. Would it fair better in say, ADA, Colombo etc?

Quetzalcoatl said:
..I am currently adding 1 cap full daily in my 180ltr along with copious ammounts of Co2 and EI mate. As for light..I failed first time around running 2 x 39watts. I have increased lighting this time around to 3 x 39watts after concluding that the general consensus was that HC required more light! :rolleyes:
Maybe you failed the last time because of poor flow and distribution. Thinking that you need to add more light is almost always a bad conclusion. HC does not really care about high light, but it does care about flow and CO2. You may easily have poor flow at the substrate, but good flow high above the substrate where the other plants are. So just because other plants are doing well you cannot always conclude that the plant that is suffering has good CO2. It is not clear how you are distributing your flow.

Cheers,

Yeah. Good point, I understand where you are coming from :D

I have experimented with various methods of distribution over my brief time in the hobby. I`ve had spraybars along the side wall, spraybars along the back wall, I`ve had powerheads, Sheperds crooks, and Jet outlets and to be honest I`m still not sure of a prefered method.

I know you are an ambassador for rear wall mounted spray bars. I see where you are coming from. I have had mine set up like this for a few months and it worked great for my plants in the foreground, however my current layout comprises of a couple of huge Blyxa bushes and these were acting as giant wind breaks and preventing flow from reaching the back of the tank. They were also catching debris and were holding onto everything, and anything that was pushed down and back along the substrate.

To note, I was running rear mounted spraybars when my HC failed last time so inadequate flow at the substrate is unlikely in this scenario. Oh, and my Glosso is doing well also..

If your glosso is growing only horizontal the CO2 at the bottom should be fine. It could be only the HC transitioning to your tank's conditions, might take a couple of weeks before it grows as it should. I usually don't care about it loosing its emersed leaves.

Yeah the Glosso is doing great. Runners are spreading across the substrate a few mm daily.

It could be only the HC transitioning to your tank's conditions, might take a couple of weeks before it grows as it should. I usually don't care about it loosing its emersed leaves.
That is good to know. Thanks Clonitza.

I planted some Stauro just behind the HC at the same time. I can see new submerged growth from this. Which is nice. I will keep a vigilant eye on the HC over the next week or so. Should I expect total disintegration of the emerged leaves then. As mine is melting at an alarming rate! :(

Back