• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

"Dutch something or the other" 120 Gal

George Farmer said:
I'm having some aquascaping-enthusiast friends over this weekend and I'm hoping to run a video podcast. Would you mind if this aquascape was one of the topics we discuss?

Sure, you can lift the pics and use them, they are public access/free etc.

Note, this is NOT a finished scape, I'm a ways out, maybe 3-6 months from that.

I agree with George but would add - I think the tank is an amazing display of plant husbandry, the layout really shows off the tanks dimension by giving such depth of field.
I love the vivid colours & I think George is not far off with his comparison to an underwater reef but for me it more resembles a tidal rock pool!
I love the clean lines of plants & the neatness of design. :clap:

plantbrain said:
George Farmer said:
I'm having some aquascaping-enthusiast friends over this weekend and I'm hoping to run a video podcast. Would you mind if this aquascape was one of the topics we discuss?

Sure, you can lift the pics and use them, they are public access/free etc.

Note, this is NOT a finished scape, I'm a ways out, maybe 3-6 months from that.
Thanks, and yes, I realise that and will ensure the others do too... :)

plantbrain said:
c55eacdf.jpg

1.5 weeks post trimming.

Not bad recovery and VERY easy and less issues than uprooting and replanting methods.

Hey Tom is that Pogostemon Helferi over on the right ? If so, thats awesome growth ! Looks a totally different plant to the tiny plantlets I got in my Tropica pots, but then its only been there a week. Im guessing it will start to grow better when I have proper CO2 running in the tank:) Im thoroughly enjoying revisiting this thread though :thumbup:

Antipofish said:
plantbrain said:
c55eacdf.jpg

1.5 weeks post trimming.

Not bad recovery and VERY easy and less issues than uprooting and replanting methods.

Hey Tom is that Pogostemon Helferi over on the right ? If so, thats awesome growth ! Looks a totally different plant to the tiny plantlets I got in my Tropica pots, but then its only been there a week. Im guessing it will start to grow better when I have proper CO2 running in the tank:) Im thoroughly enjoying revisiting this thread though :thumbup:

Yes, that is Downoi, same thing, just the common name in Thailand where it is from.

You can see the stumps from about 2-3 weeks ago and then look at the size of some of them, last week. They have grown about 3x larger in that same time span. It will take some time for recovery to get this plant to really start growing well. Once it does, it is fairly easy.

I'll likely post some pics tomorrow night.

I gave away some of the Ludwigia peruensis today to a local member, then planted some Ammannia gracilius.
Ammannia gracilius has a nice large leaf and ordered look, a different shade of red than the other Ludwigia "Red" next door. It'll likely take another month or two to grow enough out and get it to color up and adapt nicely.

plantbrain said:
I think you are running the light too low, 30-40 is decent at the bottom, the top could be much higher or just a little more depending on the tank's height and distances from the bulbs.

Thank you Tom. :D I am currently running it at 20 @ substrate because it is a non co2 tank. It's just day 4 into start up. I will get it to 30-40 at the bottom.

Thank you, Tom. :)

3 is a good target for a non CO2 tank, some will do fine at 20, but in general, 30-40 is good.

Adding CO2 will lower the threshold of the LCP(light compensation Point where PS = R), so contrary to belief, CO2 allows you to add even LESS light, than non CO2. This is because all the resources the plant takes in and uses can be geared towards capturing light instead of capturing light AND limited CO2.

George Farmer said:
plantbrain said:
This is an incredible display.

It may not suit some tastes. Maybe too formal for many. However, it's probably the finest display of healthy aquarium plant growth anyone is likely to see on here.

I actually like the relatively rigid layout - sure it's at odds with the Nature Aquarium concept but it's nice to see a refreshing and rather unique style like this. The journal title is certainly accurate in its description...

It's like it's forcing you to notice each species; their colours and textures provide maximum impact and visual feast to suppress anyone's appetite. Almost like a freshwater equivalent to a reef.

I could not agree more.

As a newbie to the hobby, I had spent some time looking at some of the fantastic scapes more experienced folk than myself had done, and immediately wanted to jump right in at the deep end. Several of them, George included, advised me to start more slowly and put plants in that I liked, learn how they grow, how to manage them, what does well, what does not, what I like, what I do not. I am beginning to accept that advice now, and I find I am learning more than I ever could have done by trying to achieve a specific look or by being too rigid in my plant choices.

This aquarium of Tom's, whilst clearly worlds apart from what I am currently doing, is in essence the same thing too. Tom is trying out different plants and allowing the tank to evolve through that process. (Just with a much greater degree of understanding and ability, LOL).

I love this. As a learning tool, as an aquarium, as a display, and as Tom's choices of plants have changed, I have learned even more. I think the structured look is fantastic, because it is easy to see the differences in plant colours, shapes, growth rates, success rates, textures... the list goes on.... That is not to say I dislike other styles either, but from my own perspective, this is probably the most helpful tank on here for me at the moment.

Thanks Tom, for putting so much effort in to this journal, and for answering everyone's questions in depth like you do. You are a true Ambassador for this hobby :)

plantbrain said:
Adding CO2 will lower the threshold of the LCP(light compensation Point where PS = R), so contrary to belief, CO2 allows you to add even LESS light, than non CO2. This is because all the resources the plant takes in and uses can be geared towards capturing light instead of capturing light AND limited CO2.

:wideyed: Wow,...That's something really new to me.

Antipofish said:
Thanks Tom, for putting so much effort in to this journal, and for answering everyone's questions in depth like you do. You are a true Ambassador for this hobby :)

My thoughts exactly,... :D

Today I had a chance to plant my Ammannia and moved the L. perunesis. Still puzzled as to what to do about the downoi, it's such a nice plant and easy to grow, sells well etc.

e90a6d7f.jpg

713547b4.jpg

78fa3b73.jpg

You can see the Bun's in the rear behind the wood, they are small now, but in a few months, they will look pretty nice. There are 8 different types.

b91ad12f.jpg

Antipofish said:
I love this. As a learning tool, as an aquarium, as a display, and as Tom's choices of plants have changed, I have learned even more. I think the structured look is fantastic, because it is easy to see the differences in plant colours, shapes, growth rates, success rates, textures... the list goes on.... That is not to say I dislike other styles either, but from my own perspective, this is probably the most helpful tank on here for me at the moment.

I've noticed Amano doing/trying to do this and promote this for some time. I'm just really starting to make a priority and illustrate it for people. Styles change, evolve, etc.......but the basics and horticulture are really not that much different.

New folks often think there is some secret, but a lot of it is simply getting in there and pruning, and seeing what works nicely for that location. You have to have the growing basics down first...........that is generally the biggest issue for most newbies.

I've done enough help in that area of growth, so time to evolve and start on something else, and frankly, I find discussing this stuff a lot easier and nicer, no one is arguing with me:)

plantbrain said:
I find discussing this stuff a lot easier and nicer, no one is arguing with me:)
Makes a change!! :lol:

The 'scape is coming along real nice.

How long do you think you'll run this for, Tom?

Will it keep evolving slowly with plant changes here and there for the long-term or will you start over with new hardscape and style once it's fully grown-in, in a couple of months or so?

Which part of this tank do you enjoy the most? The maintenance? The visual impact? The animals? The changes? The sharing? Or a bit of everything in equal measures?

I think I can answer for the last two :lol:

George Farmer said:
Will it keep evolving slowly with plant changes here and there for the long-term or will you start over with new hardscape and style once it's fully grown-in, in a couple of months or so?
Won't be fully grown.

George Farmer said:
Which part of this tank do you enjoy the most? The maintenance? The visual impact? The animals? The changes? The sharing? Or a bit of everything in equal measures?
Selling the plants.

Tom's tank is like Wall Street. :)

I'm sure many here have said this before - I never thought planted freshwater tank could be THIS colourful!! It gets better and better each time I see it! I keep returning to this thread every few days and it never fails to impress. Please keep us mortals here happy with your posts for the foreseeable future :D

One question. Did you say you cull the shrimps in your tank to keep the colours from degrading? If you do how do you manage that in such a vast tank with so many plants?

Thank you.

George Farmer said:
How long do you think you'll run this for, Tom?

Not sure, I can move various species around and have the widest range or light I could ask for from the lowest to the highest settings, etc........so it can simply change ane evolve rather than having any specific end point, more a journey vs a a destination.

On any trip, there are always a few nice views.

If I am happy (well more than 50%), I often will keep a scape for a few years. I'm not a tear it down and start a new one "type" of aquarist. It is not for a lack of ideas, I have plenty of those and plenty of hardscaping materials........just what feels like a good look and go from there, it's rather a basic thing with me.

So I suppose I'm more a long term aquarist, many of the contest folks? They are store owners/workers, or have access etc...........so that is all they do and they can tear it down and start over etc easily, for hobbyists..........well, the idea of tossing out of the ADA AS, selling off and finding a home for all the fish.........
it's a big old hassle and I lack the time/motivation.

I enjoy my aquariums in my home, I do not enjoy a construction zone and lots of work to make sure the tank gets off to a good start.

I can still rotate various species and plants around, sometimes these do not work well, sometimes they do, and sometimes they do not work well in this scape, but would look great in another.

The snide critiques:)

haha

I like to stop by the tank and pick a little here and there. I like the plants mostly......nice to try some larger groups of some species I have not kept together or at all. I guess another thing is to develop a nice scape with eclectic species.

I suppose another thing is to illustrate that you have easily have nice coloration with a wide varieties of species without having to stress the plants with low N or careful fussy dosing. This tank gets a bit more Traces and PO4 than normal EI, so it's a good case for falsification of various claims that come down the pipe about dosing or ferts.......

Since I keep some of the most troublesome fussy plants.........and least 1/3 or more of the tank.........it also helps to support claims made.

All you have to do is show a few examples where that is NOT the case and you can beat the snot of anyone's argument. See? I can argue later about this tank and use it as support :twisted: I'm evil that way.

Reactions: Bhu
clonitza said:
Selling the plants.

Tom's tank is like Wall Street. :)

No bail out here, mate.

But selling is part of the overall plan, hence the eclectic array of species.
Some plants I do NOT make much on, but they fulfill a nice role and color, easy to care for etc.
Most plants I do sell.

I can make an easy 100-200$ a month off this tank, maybe more once the rows are at the peak and have filled in no# wise with high grade tops. Nice tops you can sell and get a fair $ for. Since many of these plants are not available in the USA, many pester me to sell them some. I only sit on plants 1-2 days at most, then they are sold.This does not include the fire shrimp, I make about 100$ a month off those. My 180 sells about 200$ per month with Starougyne and has for about 2 years now.

So if you get 200-400$ a month ranges, then taking care of the tanks is less of chore and more of a job that you love to do.

Back