• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tom's "Aquatics Live" Dennerle

It looks great!

Did you get the PAR38 LED? What are your observations on it?

looks great Tom, as said before it's great to see a clean Marine. Great photography as well.

Tom said:
Marines can be as simple as you like. In a low stocked small tank, you're fine with just rock and a good powerhead in the tank. My filter is just for running some Rowaphos really.

To start off, all you need is salt water and some rock. You can build up other bits as you need them.

This sounds very tempting indeed. So in theory the rock and sand is the filtration media and the powerhead is the pump. I didn't know that the rock had that much filtration capability by itself.

Does that mean I could start off with an ADA cube, a Koralia, a heater and some LED lighting for hardware?!

Wouldn't have a clue what to stock it with :lol:

Keep up the good work :thumbup:

this is were i have always been confused about SW tanks. Some say to use external filtration and others say just use live rock and powerheads??

NeilW said:
This sounds very tempting indeed. So in theory the rock and sand is the filtration media and the powerhead is the pump. I didn't know that the rock had that much filtration capability by itself.

Does that mean I could start off with an ADA cube, a Koralia, a heater and some LED lighting for hardware?!

Wouldn't have a clue what to stock it with :lol:

Keep up the good work :thumbup:

Yep you can. There are different types of rock you can use. The best ones are very porous with holes all over, rather than a solid slab of stone. They work like any filter in terms of nitrification, but also perform denitrification further in where there is no oxygen. Over time it builds up to be very efficient filtration. You need to get as much flow around the rock as possible, even underneath if you can. The better distributed your flow, the more efficient the filtration. Provided you have decent rock, I can't see any need for other external filtration other than for some fine floss and PO4 control.

heavily stocked sw tanks need external filtration but the "nano" way of doing things works fine on smaller tanks providing you get a nice deep sand base and the right rock with good flow same principal can be used in freshwater tanks too but its not as "easy"

hinch said:
heavily stocked sw tanks need external filtration but the "nano" way of doing things works fine on smaller tanks providing you get a nice deep sand base and the right rock with good flow same principal can be used in freshwater tanks too but its not as "easy"

Yep, true.

Cycling depends completely on the quality of your rock, how long it was out of water for transport etc etc. In the two marine tanks I've done recently, I've not detected a cycle and been able to stock lightly straight away. You usually get a certain amount of 'die-off' when setting up a new tank, as organisms die in the rock and create ammonia. I didn't notice this when testing though, and have not had any issues with stock. I had the usual diatoms about 3 weeks into setup, but went after a week. I then started Rowaphos when the green algae appeared, and it works wonders.

So nice, i would love a set up like that. The 'weirdness' of marines is what makes it appealing for me, you could spend hours just looking at everything nose to the glass.

Looking stunning dude!

Makes me wanna cross back to the dark side!

Andy

Tom, thats a pretty bl**dy awesome nano reef I must say ! Yellow gobies can be finnicky feeders, was yours eating ok ? Often they need an established aquarium of at least 6 months. That said you have some fine rock and corals etc in there so i would have though he might have been ok. Definitely dont ever get a blue cheeked goby. All they ever do is wither away and die unless you are very lucky. I LOVE the look of that though. Damn you ! lol. Now I got the thought "hmm marine nano..." going on in my head. And I already have too many other ideas.

That is BRILLIANT Tom.
Now I want one :( Crap.

Very clean, I like that look.. You make it look easy! :D
How much does it cost you to run, do you mind me asking?
Nice HOB too.

Where do you get your marine stuff from?
Obviously not Kesgrave or Viking!

Kris

Thanks Kris :D It looks a bit different now that I have added the extra rock to increase the space and height, and it needs some time to colour up.

Running cost-wise, I don't have a clue about electricity. I'm now just running 22w of light, a HOB filter, heater and a Koralia. Feed-wise, I've been using the PFK free sample for a while!! Other than that, I have the Tetra XS granules. I don't dose any supplements. Water costs about £3-6 per month, and £12 of salt every 3 months or so.

I use Rats, Cats and Elephants in Capel St. Mary for salt, water, food and AquaEl lighting. The rest is t'internet. The filter was from John Allan wholesalers as I have a trade account for my setup/maintenance work.

You're welcome Tom.
That's interesting! :D I still have to go there, its crap not having a car! That's really not that expensive at all, free samples FTW :D Oh so you got a discount on it then? That's handy :D want to grab me one :lol:
I'm mad for one of these now. All your fault LOL!
Really looks great though.

Kris

I can see if they've got one for you, but they were very low on stock when I went and didn't have any plans to order any more as they don't sell. Your best bet might be from a company based in Germany that has a UK shop. Can never remember the name, so that's not very helpful!!

Back