• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dry start - feeling a bit confused ...

peaches

About 3 weeks ago I put some fluval shrimp stratum in a hexagonal tank, arranged my rockscape, planted some dwarf hairgrass and got some craft mesh and wrapped phoenix moss around it. I wanted to go for dry start, so I put in just enough water to cover the substrate, but as this is higher at the back, the front bit has more water than the back. The dwarf hairgrass is doing fine, looks good. The phoenix moss isnt growing much, but when I add a little more water the mats of craft mesh start to float. I am trying to weight them down with bits of substrate, but I was hoping it would grab onto the top layer of substrate somehow. Perhaps I shouldnt have bothered with the craft mesh, but I thought the moss would just float away if not.

I covered the top with cling film and I use my lights for 12 hours a day.

There is a musty smell when I open the cling film. Is this a problem and will I get mould?

Any ideas what to do to stop the moss floating off?

How long should I give it before submerging it?

(Sorry but I feel a bit out of my depth)

Back