• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim 2010

geaves

Having just started the filter suggested was an Eheim 2010 due to size of tank etc, having looked at replacement sponges for this filter the aquajardin website suggests cutting the filter in half and therefore replace a 1/2 at a time.

Would it be beneficial, instead of replacing 1/2 a sponge using a bag of purigen, or would the output of the filter be greatly reduced.

Geoff

If you mean to remove the sponge entirely to replace with purigen then no. The use of sponges, depending on the density of each is to trap larger particles and for beneficial bacteria to populate it aiding in the de-nitrification process ie converting ammonia into nitrite then nitrate.

Purigen has a different purpose and is used to 'polish' micro particles from water so it is nice and clear.
However, i dont know how purigen does this, think its made from fairy dust :)

and do not replace any sponge until it falls apart! And when the time does come years from now only replace a small portion at a time.

purigen adsorbs nitrogenous compounds and can be recharged in a bleach solution. so should last for ten recharges . how long between recharges depends on your tank conditions.

Hi all,
and do not replace any sponge until it falls apart!
Agreed with this, I've got some that are at least 15 years old, and Apistogramma guru Mike Wise is still using some he bought in the 1970's. If you rinse them (I do it under a running tap and then a soak), but don't really scrunch them up, they last a lot longer.

The use of sponges, depending on the density of each is to trap larger particles and for beneficial bacteria to populate it aiding in the de-nitrification process ie converting ammonia into nitrite then nitrate.
I also agree with this, filtration is really all about biological filtration, personally I don't like any chemical media long term.

Relatively coarse sponges (PPI10 or PPI20) might not be very fashionable, but they are great biological media.

Cheers Darrel

Back