• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

"Dutch something or the other" 120 Gal

roadmaster said:
Have only kept them in closed top tank's but Threadfin rainbows in enough number's, make a pretty display in my view, with the antic's of the males attempting to entice females.
believe they would pose no threat to shrimps ,plant's.

After posting the above yesterday, and speaking with those I know who keep them, seems they would not be very good idea in open topped tank's. :thumbdown: :silent:

89e6e92f.jpg

I may move the Erios in the front.
Still pondering.

8eee2a20.jpg

5c403859.jpg

I replaced the Fissidens with Subwassertang for now, the Fissidens came in with hair algae and I'd hoped the shrimp would remove it, they keep it beaten back well, but.......
Some I placed the moss in an emergent terrarium type of set up and then it will go to a dark tank for a week or so. Subwassertang is weedy also, but has a nice color and texture, and no algae.

I might move the Erios to the Toninia lotus blossom on the Left side and then move the Tonina to where the larger Tonina is now (and get rid of the normal Tonina).
The new Erio Gioas will get good sized, roughly baseball size or larger. I have 6 now and a tiny plantlet. I'll thin out some Downoi and open that space up more next to the Subwassertang for the Erios.
The Ammannia is hit or miss with some of the the stems, some are recovering and adapting well, others are not. I'll cull the nicer tops and replant in a month or so. The L. pantanal did this also once it hit the surface of the water.

I might consider Ludwigia breviceps instead of the Ammannia and perhaps find a home for the Ammannia in the rear.

Also, recall about 1 month ago this little raggy looking Downoi stand?
8482e380.jpg

Look at the difference above.

Emyr said:
Get the eriocaulon c back in there! Was my favorite plant in the tank, love the spiky look of it compared with the softer looking plants.

The Erio Gioas is the replacement. I might use other species later and rotate various species I've not kept.

Emyr said:
What do you do with the erio c that you took out then? put that all in another tank temporarily?

Sold them for 3x what I paid.

Once the Erio goias grow to about softball size, I'll likely sell them and try and different Erio species.
Buy for 15$, sell for 50$ etc. Erio Goias puts out plantlets much easier/nicer than some other species in the genus, so I may end up keeping the mother plants.

Ludwigia pilosa needs to fill and color up, I have a stem of L inclinata orange that will take some time to fill in, if anyone has some for sale, let me know.
L pilosa is rare, so it'll be a couple of months before this plant fills in nicely.

I'm not happy really with the lack of red color on this right side. Downoi is out of place really, but I think if I allow it to grow out, then cull the small stuff and sell that and keep a more orderly row of larger plants, that will make it look better.
The Pellia is cramped really against the UG and the Erio. I have not tied down the Fissidens on the 3 new pieces of small wood on the Right side there.

I moved the P stellata up and it looks good with the yellow and purple coloration. Likely will keep it there. More R wallichii will fill in the back, I might replace the normal R macrandra with the "japan" version.
You can see the Anubias and Buce's spot behind the wood. I was going to work these on those 3 fingers of wood in the front Right side, but I think it's better back here really.

The Tonina Lotus blossom is a much better choice than the normal type.
I moved the Ammannia gracilius to the rear, removed the Hydrothrix entirely.

topshot317.jpg

Sidemar17th.jpg

Leftsidemar17.jpg

That really is epic!! I like the un-natural look.
As a noob I often get a bit confused looking at Dutch aquariums, wondering where people start with their layout. Ofc a good solid knowledge of plant species would help but I'm quite far from that atm.

Porksword said:
That really is epic!! I like the un-natural look.
As a noob I often get a bit confused looking at Dutch aquariums, wondering where people start with their layout. Ofc a good solid knowledge of plant species would help but I'm quite far from that atm.

It's not complicated as far as the design, you just find plants that contrast well and have different shades and textures, they can be easy plants or the hardest........make some rows.........add some driftwood to line the rows up etc and then go at it.

Do not like it? Change the wood or the plants etc till you do, little by little.

No doubt that once I've created my first one I'll see the simplicity behind it all, but at first glance to someone who knows about 5 species of plant it's quite daunting (those 5 include roses, lol)
I think that when I've learned the different varieties and how they grow in I'll be able to crack it and the photo you posted with the plants labelled will be an excellent place to start, so I'll be following this and watching how they grow.
Thanks plantbrain.

I need to change the Left side around, it's too ordered, straight etc.

So this week, maybe Tues or Weds I'll change it pretty much entirely in the front 1/2 from the Red Ludwigia row over.

topview1320.jpg

Front Left piece of wood can be moved and will be to trim off some of the Downoi

Below, I'll add a few more L pilosa(2 small rows) next to these 2.

topside320.jpg

rightside320.jpg

resized1320.jpg

I plan on adding more Rotala wallichii in the back and allowing the P stellata to fill in there, with the P sedoies coming around.
I am going to make the Downoi a zigzag pattern and lop off some of the extra plants on the Left bulge there. This will provide more room.

I wish I could find a good home for the Erio goias.

But not in this tank at least right now.
So that will be removed. I'll work with some smaller Erios from now on. These will go next to the UG and Downoi in the front.
The open space where the Erios are now?

That will be a W shaped rug of Elatine triandra.

I have some R macrandra Japan but it's so similar to the normal, I'll wait and see.

On the side view, you can see the L pilosa, this is a nice plant and has reddened up, but it's never going to achieve a real strong red contrast I'm after.
Sort of a nice orangy color....I'll add another 2-3 tops in this section

I have a few options coming in this week for the red plant in the Left side that's open.
A ruby colored Persicaria 'Ruby' praetermissa, L breviceps, and Ludwigia senegalaensis.
Obviously with more room, the dwarf lily bulbs would be an easy no brainer.
They other idea was adding a lace plant in here to scramble things up with a nice larger leaf rossette plant.

I've gotten much better at replanting UG also. This is the best method to max cutting sales and recovery after pruning.
I planted my 70 Gal woodagumi with UG for this reason.

More work and ideas to explore.

Hi Tom,
have you given any more thought as to fish species for this tank, or are you quite happy with just the fire shrimp and plant production?
Cheerio,
Ady.

Ady34 said:
Hi Tom,
have you given any more thought as to fish species for this tank, or are you quite happy with just the fire shrimp and plant production?
Cheerio,
Ady.

The NG rainbows are still in here, but only 8 left as I've managed to catch some of the others.
There are 3 goldnuggets and 5 G elephas double trunk elephant noses, a few otto cats.

I think I will go with the Red phantom tetras.
I was thinking butterfly African barbs or B jae, but B jae are hard to find.

Serpae tetras will shred shrimp so the Phantoms and their behavior are much more suited. And they go with the overt red coloration in the already red tank with red shrimp and my redneck.

Hi,
plantbrain said:
The NG rainbows are still in here, but only 8 left as I've managed to catch some of the others.
There are 3 goldnuggets and 5 G elephas double trunk elephant noses, a few otto cats.

I think I will go with the Red phantom tetras.
I was thinking butterfly African barbs or B jae, but B jae are hard to find.

i bet you could try catching the rainbows forever and never get them all!!
Slightly unusual choice with the elephant noses, do you ever see them and how do you find them to feed?
Gold nuggets are beautiful fish and will get you nosing around a lot trying to catch a glimpse, it always nice to have some hidden gems.
I would also go with the tetras over the barbs, african butterfly and 'b' jae's tend to like the shade so would prob hide in your plants, the tetras will be more visually appealing in this respect. There flowing fins will suit the plants... i can imagine them showing off to one another in there. If you like barbs though what about pentazona barbs, theyre nice looking and not too big. I also really love clown rasbora (rasbora kalochroma) which are also red 'ish' in good condition, i think its the way they shoal and glide around the tank in and out of the plants that makes me think they would look so good in this tank. A little bit bigger than what your thinking though and im not sure about shrimp compatability... i imagine a 4" theyd eat them!
Anyway, its always nice thinking about what to add, but ultimately its down to personal choice so ill leave you to it and stop sticking my oar in!
Cheerio,
Ady.

Well, once you add a fish, dammit, it's tougher than sin to get them out if you decide you do not like them/it does not work etc.

Back