• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tetratec EX 1200 filter

I did a test on this filter to see what the actual flow rate was with the tetratec spraybar and the provided attachments added to the filter tubing (pipe bends etc). The results were poor IMHO, as I suspected the output from this filter is less than half the advertised flowrate and came in at 500 l/h.

The filter I used was only 4 days old (had been up and running for 4 days) and included all the supplied media EXCEPT the 2 carbon bags which I wouldn't be using anyway, so the results might have been marginally worse/different if I did, but probably not by a whole lot.

It took 72 seconds to fill 10 liters drawing from a 25 liter container, I did the test a few times and 72 seconds is about the average time. So if my math is correct, 72 seconds ÷ 3600 (seconds in 1 hour) = 50 x 10liters = 500 l/h.

Can only imagine the flowrate in a month or two when the filter gets a bit dirty :?

Hi Peter,
This is typical of manufactures filter ratings. My Eheim 2080 after 9 months of operation and rated at 1700LPH now delivers about 700 LPH. It delivered about 800LPH when brand new. Now you can see why the 10X tank volume filter rating rule that George and I keep pushing is not as outrageous as people seem to think. :mad:

Cheers mate,

ceg4048 said:
Hi Peter,
This is typical of manufactures filter ratings. My Eheim 2080 after 9 months of operation and rated at 1700LPH now delivers about 700 LPH. It delivered about 800LPH when brand new. Now you can see why the 10X tank volume filter rating rule that George and I keep pushing is not as outrageous as people seem to think. :mad:

Cheers mate,

Yes I knew it wouldn't be anywhere near 1200 l/h Clive but I was curious anyway and expected a little bit better. I thought that it may be over half 600+ of the rated flow but this wasn't the case, less than half the rated output is poor IMO. Some of the fittings are poorly designed as well IMO, it uses right angled bends in the tubing instead of curved tubing to get over the lip of the tank for the inflow/outflow, this is a basic flaw IMHO and an impedance to flow, this is something I will change which should help a little bit. I won't be buying another one anyway, nice price, but ya get what ya pay for I guess.

Thanks for letting us know your views on this filter once it was up and running. I was looking to get one of these this week but have started to review other things now.

I'm not really price constraint (to a degree) so looking at Fluval FX5 or the Eheim 2080 which is discussed in.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Realised that neither of them will fit my stand, might need to get two smaller externals.

EDIT (2nd): Might go back to my original idea of getting a JBL CristalProfi 500

Looks like I'm going to have to purchase this filter
- it'll fit in the center part of my stand with it being 24cm wide - I'll have to drill holes for the pipework
- its on the cheap range of things

I was going to get the JBL CristalProfi E1500, however that's £130 from AE. I spoke to AquaJardin and they said that the JBL's "E" range is now superseded buy just their numerical range and the "E500" is £170.

So thinking that the EX1200 of about £70 is more for me. I would like the JBL one at £130 but is it worth nearly double?!

Plus, is the noise that bad on the EX1200? My internal hums (doesn't smell!) so don't mind a little bit.

This post is quite a coincidence really. My EX700 quite often (not always) leaks after I clean it out (monthly) always leaks from where main clasps are.

This week following the washing up liquid experiment by my 3 year old son I have had to open it a few times and lo and behold it is shipping water ike mad now. 4 evenings in a row I emptied it, cleaned the O ring, cleaned the groove it fits in, cleaned the inside of the cannister and refitted. By morning a lot of water gone. I have always sat mine in a large mixing bowl as I never trust things like filters.

I gave up on it and put my old Fluval3+ Internal back in the tank (same 700lph rating) and my god it was as if I had put double the size filter in. CO2 bubbles blowing all over the place, water circulating even faster etc. I think the EX700 must've been very low even though it only had half the supplied media in it.

I am going to try over the weekend to get the darned thing to seal before selling it on ebay. I think I may well continue with the internal seeing as it works a lot better (expecting someone to warble on about the media surface area now. lol)

I like Lisa will let you know if I have any success with getting it to 'unleak' but otherwise I think we now know that the price did tell us something!!!

Pity cos it looks good and is quiet although disappointing flow rate compared to similar rated internals.

Andy

Well after 4 days of being dry I put the media from the fluval back in the tetratec and sealed it, opened the taps so it filled and turned it on. bone dry this morning so it has sealed!!!

It seems to be very hit and miss wether you get a proper seal with these filters and it is most annoying. Have added my MP400 to the tank to aid the flow though because very unimpressed with the Tetratec flow compared to the Fluval internal.

Not opening it for at least a month now. lol

Andy

Had to take it apart for my 'unplanned' spur o the moment rescape and its shipping water again.

I will try again later to 'seal' it but even if it works I shall be saving up for a new filter as I can't trust it anymore and I don't want the frustration of having a number of attempts to seal it every time I need to open it.

Fluval3+ is in and will stay if needed until a decent filter arrives. Probs in 2+ months

Andy

I opened my EX1200 today and all seems ok after i sealed it again. By the way these don't fit into the new style Rio 180 cupboards. Would possibly fit in the centre compartment!!

Mine was OK firs 6 months. A little dribble here and there but that was me not closing it properly. Recently though it has seemed OK then after 2 or more hours (I clean my filter near bedtime. eeek) It pours out from the clasps both sides at a horrendous rate.

Closed it up and tried it again this morning and it is working OK again, fingers crossed. I have it stood in a large mixing bowl (40cm diameter and 20cm tall) cos I have lost faith. lol

Andy

After the last few moans I have to give Tetratec their dues. I emailed them about the leaks and they are sending me a new main large 'O' ring and a new in/out part (there are some smaller O rings in there apparently.

So I guess once these arrive it will be like new for no extra cost. I take back everything I said.

Andy

Ask them about the rubbish output performance and see if they can sort that out as well :rolleyes:

JAmesM said:
zig said:
Ask them about the rubbish output performance and see if they can sort that out as well :rolleyes:
Maybe you should try another one before starting war against them? Most people who use them are happy with them.

What war?

my retort was more to do with Andys forgiveness "I take back everything I said " quote unquote.

I have just layed out the facts as I have found them and have TESTED them, nothing more nothing less.

I wonder would most people, including you, be happy if they knew the true output of the filter before they bought it? never mind the other minor :) issue of leaks etc , But you see thats the beauty of forums like this we can all share information.

Anyway, I can confirm that my filter runs at the spec stated 21Watts, I monitored it with a (calibrated) energy meter over a period of time. No war here though couldn't be bothered with that, if I'm that unhappy with it over time I will just buy something else, money wasn't really an issue here, I just wanted something that would do the the job.

I just edited the post to add a bit more at the end, just a bit more clarity on my behalf.

PS. the tank (150l) runs superb with the Tetratec 1200 and a Eheim 2215 running on it, now thats what I call flow :D

Just reading through this post a little seems that even though the flow is much less than we all expected it to be that Clive's assessment of the Eheim he had is virtually identical:

800lph from 1700lph = 47%
500lph from 1200lph = 42%

Has anyone tested the throughput when all the baskets and media are removed? Does it reach the 1200lph then? Also with the 1200s % being lower than the 1700, can I assume that the larger the filter the less reduction in flow there will be? or am I reading something into it that isn't there.

Once the new O ring and in/out section comes I shall test the EX700 empty and then test it full to see what the difference really is on mine (curious now. lol) Not doing it now as I am not opening the filter while it is working with the current O ring in it. lol

Will report back nxt week.

Andy

Well Ive been running my ex1200 in my 200 litre tank for the last 2 years now without any problems apart from a broken impeller that had to be replaced but that was my fault as I dropped it when cleaning it.

Defiantly the best filter ive ever had, far better then any eheim ive owned which are in my opinion overrated and overpriced.

If it's not your main canister seal then it will be one of the 6 seals in the adaptor unit.

I had to take mine apart and change a seal some weekends ago just to get me through till Tetra could send another one under warranty.

I've asked if perhaps they could do a seal kit for the adaptor unit so you won't have to spend £20 when it's outside warranty. It means taking it apart yourself but it's not exactly rocket science.

I think my seals just dried up so vaselined them all and leak gone.

Good luck.

Seals.jpg

I baptised my 1200 last night, seemed OK, but this morning it was sitting in a small puddle of water, a tiny leak down the side out from the motor unit - main unit seal. The manual says check O ring for placement and dirt, but its brand new and spotless. Tonight I will check filter baskets are correctly placed, remove O ring, clean and replace.

bare bottom said:
I think my seals just dried up so vaselined them all and leak gone.
Should I apply vaseline also?

Is there any other kind of knack I should know?

Back