• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lowering PH tips

Iain Sutherland

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
There are a few more sensitive fish ive been looking at that like a lower ph, what is the best way to do this naturally?

I understand that sphagnum peat moss under the substrate will lower ph but this doesnt seem to be a lasting effect.
Alder cones are another way but only drops it slightly, can these be used inside a filter?

My tap water is 7 and would like a consistent 5.5-6ish.

Will i only ever be able to achieve a stable low ph by using RO?

Any tips? :thumbup:

what fish? Best not to alter your intank water ph. Do it out of the aquarium.

Hi all,
There are a few more sensitive fish ive been looking at that like a lower ph, what is the best way to do this naturally?
This depends upon the dKH buffering of the tap water. As you live in Cambridge, I would suspect that your tap water is almost infinitely carbonate buffered, so there is no real way of reducing hardness, other than by RO, distillation etc.

I would expect the water would be similar or harder than my tap water, which at about 17d carbonate hardness and strongly carbonate buffered.
These are the figures from "Wessex Water")
Calcium (milligrams per litre) 119 (298 x 40% = 119)
Calcium carbonate (milligrams per litre) 298
Degrees German (ºdH) 16.7 (16.7 x 17.85 = 298)
Degrees French (ºf) 30
Degrees Clark 21
Sodium (milligrams per litre) 22
Conductivity 615 micro S(iemens)
Sphagnum peat actually works like an ion exchange resin by swapping cations (like Ca2+) for H+ ions.

You should be able to get a hardness figure from here: <http://www.cambridge-water.co.uk/customers/area-water-quality>

cheers Darrel

i use peat moss to lower my tap water parameters. Works a dream.

thanks for the info guys, i guessed that trying to alter tap water would be near impossible in the long term. Im actually now focusing on my shrimp tank to breed CRS and will use RO. The biotope will have to wait.

I need to empty the tank, rescape, then rehome the CRS i have immeadiately so will need a substrate that wont leach ammonia yet create the best habitat for reasonable grade CRS ie. ph6.
Any sugestions that will do this and grow plants... ???

Back