• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algae Pads a gimmick??

curefan

Question....are the algae pads for sale in Aquatic shops just an over priced gimmick??

The reason I ask is because recently I sold an old tank and I used a Tesco sponge with a green scour bit on one side to get some marks off the glass, and it did so without scratching. These are a fraction of the price of cleaning pads in Aquatic shops!!

My new tank is optiwhite, so i wonder would it be safe on this too???

Thanks, Dave.

What ever works for you, I use clean paper towels folded into fourths . :thumbup:

We use a regular scouring pad at work and it doesn't scratch the glass. Those Tesco pads, if you use the soft side you won't have any problems. I'd hesitate to use the rough scouring side on opti-white just as it's expensive! I use a microfibre algae pad on mine. I forget where I got it though.

I used a green Tesco style scourer to get permanent marker graffiti off the car window and scratched the bejeesus out of the window :(

I use a plastic credit card - it's never left a scratch. I used to use the green pads but i did find the odd scratch - but they could have been caused buy one of those magnetic cleaning things.

Back