• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Info on CO2 system

kellyboy47

Hi everyone,
I own a 180litre planted tank which houses approx 30 community fish and my flora consistes of Java Ferns, Amazon Swords, Anubias and a varity of mosses. I do use use fertiliser along with EasyCarbo on a daily basis but am interested in the pressurised CO2 systems.
A couple of queries I have are how long would a 500g refillable (eg JBL) cylinder last for on my tank. I hadnt intended to run it 24/7 so would use a solenoid with a time switch to shut it off overnight.
I have been asking on here if anybody has this type to sell but they seem few and far between and the new systems are quite expensive to buy from LFS or online retailers and they are probably only cost effective on smaller tanks.
My other option is to go down the FE route but I was wondering whether the JBL regulators (green dials) would fit onto a FE without any difficulty ? Also advice on good quality regulators to purchase would be useful.
Any advice on where and what diffusers, bubble checkers, tubing etc to get would be extremely helpful also
Thanks
Trev

Fire extinguishers use a DIN 477 type fitting. As long as the reg is DIN 477 your fine.

As to how long it will last, this will vary on how fast you have to inject gas to maintain levels. This comes down to what type of diffuser you use and your flow/distribution.

Hi guys,
I know its the weekend and you are probably very busy but I would appreciate some good, constructive advice. I have been 'humming and harring' about buying a CO2 injection system for my aquaria for several weeks now, and am still none the wiser on the best move. I have the option to buy a used Dennerle system but wondered if I really need to :?

As I have mentioned I have a 180 litre tank and to be honest my main interest is the fauna. My tank is quite heavily planted but with easy, slow growing, hardy plants which I introduced because at the time I had a greedy Plec that destroyed the original plants I had. The Plec is no more but I still have plant nibblers hence havnt changed the plants.
I do dose APF ferts and EasyCarbo on a regular basis and must admit I have seen a vast improvement in the growth of my plants. I do have a brown algae issue which might be attributed to the T5 lamps I use (which might need changing)

My main question then is does anybody think I really need to go down the injected CO2 route i.e will it make a huge difference to the way my tank looks at present. I have heard that too much CO2 can have disasterous effects on the livestock and although I would love to have a great looking planted tank this would not be at the detriment to the fish.
If I had originally opted for a smaller tank such as a Nano with Shrimps then yes perhaps my decision would have been made simpler, but unfortunately for the present I cannot afford to change tank or livestock.

I have attached the following photo to show you the 'state' of my plants at this time :(
tank2.jpg

Please be as honest as you can
Cheers
Trev

Hi guys,
I know its the weekend and you are probably very busy but I would appreciate some good, constructive advice. I have been 'humming and harring' about buying a CO2 injection system for my aquaria for several weeks now, and am still none the wiser on the best move. I have the option to buy a used Dennerle system but wondered if I really need to :?

As I have mentioned I have a 180 litre tank and to be honest my main interest is the fauna. My tank is quite heavily planted but with easy, slow growing, hardy plants which I introduced because at the time I had a greedy Plec that destroyed the original plants I had. The Plec is no more but I still have plant nibblers hence havnt changed the plants.
I do dose APF ferts and EasyCarbo on a regular basis and must admit I have seen a vast improvement in the growth of my plants. I do have a brown algae issue which might be attributed to the T5 lamps I use (which might need changing)

My main question then is does anybody think I really need to go down the injected CO2 route i.e will it make a huge difference to the way my tank looks at present. I have heard that too much CO2 can have disasterous effects on the livestock and although I would love to have a great looking planted tank this would not be at the detriment to the fish.
If I had originally opted for a smaller tank such as a Nano with Shrimps then yes perhaps my decision would have been made simpler, but unfortunately for the present I cannot afford to change tank or livestock.

I have attached the following photo to show you the 'state' of my plants at this time :(
tank2.jpg

Cheers
Trev

Hi guys,

tank2.jpg

Cheers
Trev

when you say 'great looking planted tank' ... you can have that with a low energy set up. injected carbon really does encourage growth when combined with lighting and plant food. but as i am finding out - balancing everything is the trick. my question- do you want to spend more time caring for the plants than you do right now?

Trev, Why not start off with easy plants... Echinodorus, Java ferns, Cryptocorynes and certain stem plants. Use TPN+ fertiliser at say 5ml per day and Easycarbo liquid Carbon same amount. See how it goes and if you like it then consider if you want different plants and what their requirements are. As you say, the fauna seems to be more important for you. I started off that way but soon decided I wanted to grow plants that required injected CO2. But you can make that transition at any time, so I would suggest you will be happier leaving it for now. You can have a lovely planted tank without CO2, you just need to pic your plants wisely... ones like those I suggested above. :)

I dont mind spending more time caring for the plants if the results are markedly better than what I have at present but not at the expense of possibly getting it all all wrong and losing my fish. I know there is a lot to learn about CO2 a steep learning curve and getting the balance right is difficult but like I said I started fishkeeping to do just that, keep tropical fish. When you mention 'low energy setup' what do you mean :?

killing your fish with co2 is a difficult thing to do if you have the gear you need. easier to overdose with liquid carbon. low energy means low light with no added carbon (remember, all plants need food to survive) have a look at the el -natural section in the forum for pictures and advice.

Back