• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New tank set-up...

ian21777

Seedling
First off, apologies if this has been covered elsewhere... I am in the process of setting up a new tank, which i plan to be planted... It is a fluval roma 240 and eventually I plan to take it high tech (all pond solutions do a great 4 tube t5 luminaire for a reasonable price- i have one on my lido 125...) but until i can afford that i will be sticking with the stock lighting which is 2 42W t8s... Tubes supplied are aqua-glo and power-glo... both of these are 18000K tubes, which i am led to believe are not ideal for freshwater... what tube combination would you recommend to make the most of my meagre 80 watts?

Thanks for your help :)

If they are 18000k they are aimed at a marine setup. The colour can be a bit off-putting in a FW tank, so I would probably just change them for standard tropical T8s or a crisp white. I wouldn't worry about using 4xT5 tubes as that is a huuuge step up in light. Use the power you have (change bulb colours if you want to) and get things growing well under that first.

Tom

iquatics and lampspecs give good prices on new tubes. do not pay 25£ per tube!

yes. any tube will do, white ...warm white etc .

Thanks guys... If the kelvin colour temp doesnt mater then i will leave it as is for the time being... I looked at life-glo tubes today and almost soiled myself when i saw the £28 price tag lol. I also have a Juwel lido 125 with 4 24w t5's, co2 and EI ferts, i plan to go the same way with the big tank when i can afford the outlay for the lights. Im in the process of setting up FE CO2, just looking for somewhere to refill... anyone know of anywhere in plymouth are that refills FEs? ... Although I dont know how ill manage with plants and the fish in there... Bumblebee catfish (rescued from father after they ate alot of his fish- I wish fish shops would warn people of the size and diets fish will eventually attain) hoplo catfish, filament barbs, flying fox adn senegal polypterus... quite a 'clumsy' bunch so ill see how much damage/uprooting to plants they do before i go high tech. Back to the original point though... the only reason i asked was that i read somewhere that 18000k was more 'beneficial' to algae and could encourage it? Cant remember where i read it now though... Thanks again for help...

Back