• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Live Food £????

Gill

How much are you paying for your baggy of Live food. I remember when you could buy it anywhere for 50p a bag. Now most places are £1.50 and above some over £3.
I still have one place that has kept the price at 50p. I only buy Daphnia to top up the barrels after winter, as the colong always crashes to a few during winter.

Apart from the price, quite often the condition of the contents leaves a lot to be desired.

If I am Buying It, I always go on the day it comes in. That way I know they are fresh as can be.

Gill, tell me more about the barrel setup. I saw daphnia at my local shop and wondered about ways to keep my own supply.

It is Soooo Easy. Just a Bucket will Do. Put the water from a water change in the bucket with some clippings. Leave for a week or two, then just dump a bag of daphnia in it and job done. Lots of Daphnia over the Summer. I added 2 Bags to Mine to top them up and within a week teaming with Daphnia.
I bring them inside in the winter and just leave them alone with a few plants in a Large vase or Polish Pickle Jar.

75 pence a bag or 5 for £3 at Maidenhead Aquatics near me (at Carrgate Garden Center - Wakefield).

Gill said:
It is Soooo Easy. Just a Bucket will Do. Put the water from a water change in the bucket with some clippings. Leave for a week or two, then just dump a bag of daphnia in it and job done. Lots of Daphnia over the Summer. I added 2 Bags to Mine to top them up and within a week teaming with Daphnia.
I bring them inside in the winter and just leave them alone with a few plants in a Large vase or Polish Pickle Jar.

This looks easy, I am going to try this method. Does it only work with daphnia or can I try blood worms etc too?

Threw a bag of Daphnia in yesterday, also noticed some moz larvae.

561128_367617733282832_100001038261812_1134180_767513796_n.jpg

Back