• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Volunteer needed for St Kilda ecology field trip

BigTom

OK, I'm slightly trepidatious about putting this up on a forum, but what the heck :lol:

I find myself short a volunteer to help out with my next field trip to St Kilda (Outer Hebrides, Scotland), leaving next Sunday 4th March from Edinburgh. The trip will last 5 weeks (returning 10th April), and I need someone who is available for that entire time period. The only way on and off the island is by helicopter, so once we're there we're pretty much stuck, barring emergency.

Previously I have offered these volunteer places to early career and newly graduated biologists, but as this is the last slot I have available I thought I would widen the net a little (plus it's short notice and I'm getting desperate!).

The work involves helping out with my PhD project studying the St Kilda field mouse, and duties mainly involve helping carry and set up trapping grids of live (humane) mouse traps, some mouse handling and data recording. We will be sharing accommodation with several other researchers, and there is also an MOD contractor base on the island (including a bar!).

You do not need any previous ecology field work experience, but you need to be fit enough to carry 20kg backpacks over some pretty rough and occasionally precipitous terrain. A head for heights and willingness to work outdoors in all weathers (and I do mean all!) are essential.

The position is unpaid, but all costs (travel, food, accommodation, helicopter flights) once setting off from Edinburgh will be covered by me. All you need to pay for is return travel to Edinburgh, and whatever you plan on spending in the bar.

This is a pretty unique opportunity to spend time in one of the remotest, most difficult to reach and most ruggedly beautiful places in the UK.

Can anyone seriously interested please contact me by email (bigblacktom at hotmail dot com), with a brief note about themselves and their background. Any other questions, please just ask.

http://www.kilda.org.uk/

9aaa023b8cafbd11f6eda82c02054432-d2zs7gk.jpg

Awww_by_HairyToes.jpg

Great opportunity indeed. Wish I had the time. Pity it is that long so difficult for working people. I spent a nice biology 3 week field trip living in tents once. One of the greatest times in my life. Good luck finding volunteer.

Hi all,
As Tom can't answer from the delights of St. Kilda, I'll do it for him. Trudi Clarke, who isn't a UKAPS member, but is an wildlife warden and photographer (and has experience of small mammal trapping), has gone. She is a former student of ours, I contacted her when Tom couldn't find any-one at short notice, and she contacted him.

cheers Darrel

Back