• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

UP atomiser mist reduction

Wally

How do I get the co2 to dissolve before it reaches the tank.To get it to 30ppm there is always a mist of co2 .I have the atomizer on the out let of a Rena xp3 external filter returning to the tank through a spray bar.I have been told that if I put it on the inlet to the filter by the time it reaches the tank it will be dissolved but don't want to damage my filter.Any suggestions?

Wally said:
How do I get the co2 to dissolve before it reaches the tank.To get it to 30ppm there is always a mist of co2 .I have the atomizer on the out let of a Rena xp3 external filter returning to the tank through a spray bar.I have been told that if I put it on the inlet to the filter by the time it reaches the tank it will be dissolved but don't want to damage my filter.Any suggestions?

There is some significant disbelief that it will cause any damage. Several people have been running their diffusers on the inlet for some time with no apparent problems. Even on the inlet you will STILL get CO2 bubbles in the aquarium. I do. To completely dissolve you would need a CO2 reactor, like the Aqua Medic AM1000. The cost of this is significant loss of flow. If you are lucky enough to run two filters, or a massive beast like the FX5 thats not a problem but if you only have the XP3 you would see your flow drop by a third I reckon.

Hello,
It's important to clarify that the entire purpose of the Up atomizer is specifically to create a mist, the theory being that the fine mist facilitates CO2 uptake when making contact with the plant leaves, which should work better than dissolving the gas in water. That is the prime feature of this model. If you don't want a mist because you disagree with that theory then you have really bought exactly the wrong model. Otherwise you should continue to use the mist technique and do a better job of distributing the effluent so that the mist carries to as much of the tank and makes contact with as many leaves as possible.

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
Hello,
It's important to clarify that the entire purpose of the Up atomizer is specifically to create a mist, the theory being that the fine mist facilitates CO2 uptake when making contact with the plant leaves, which should work better than dissolving the gas in water. That is the prime feature of this model. If you don't want a mist because you disagree with that theory then you have really bought exactly the wrong model. Otherwise you should continue to use the mist technique and do a better job of distributing the effluent so that the mist carries to as much of the tank and makes contact with as many leaves as possible.

Cheers,

Yeah i think there is a common misconception out there that the atomisers produce a fine mist c02 so it dissolves easier into the water, however as Ceg says its simply to facilitate better c02 uptake from the plants point of view, so getting the mist to the plant is key....hence the importance of good flow/distribution.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Ady34 said:
ceg4048 said:
Hello,

Cheers,

Yeah i think there is a common misconception out there that the atomisers produce a fine mist c02 so it dissolves easier into the water, however as Ceg says its simply to facilitate better c02 uptake from the plants point of view, so getting the mist to the plant is key....hence the importance of good flow/distribution.
Cheerio,
Ady.

OR, people will buy these cost they cant afford £60 for a decent CO2 reactor and try and get the mist to dissolve even more, LOL.

This has got me thinking though. HOW FINE is the mist meant to be. Is it just that, a "mist" or is it lots of bubbles. Cos the bubbles mine produces seem to be very visible as bubbles rather than a mist. Perhaps the new one makes the mist finer with more bubbles than the original ?

ceg4048 said:
...the theory being that the fine mist facilitates CO2 uptake when making contact with the plant leaves, which should work better than dissolving the gas in water...

How much substance do you think is behind this theory?

Antipofish said:
OR, people will buy these cost they cant afford £60 for a decent CO2 reactor and try and get the mist to dissolve even more, LOL.

This has got me thinking though. HOW FINE is the mist meant to be. Is it just that, a "mist" or is it lots of bubbles. Cos the bubbles mine produces seem to be very visible as bubbles rather than a mist. Perhaps the new one makes the mist finer with more bubbles than the original ?

This is a q i wouldnt mind answering too. Im presuming mist means very very fine bubbles. I know its not exactly the same but my in tank diffuser produces varying sizes of bubbles, from what i would consider misting through to bubbles, which probably explains poor c02 diffusion both dissolved and direct to the plant leaf, and a high bubble rate to achieve 30ppm..... most of it is probably wasted out the top of the tank as the bigger bubbles arnt held in suspension for as long and head for freedom at the tank surface!.... i think i need a better diffuser!

sWozzAres said:
ceg4048 said:
...the theory being that the fine mist facilitates CO2 uptake when making contact with the plant leaves, which should work better than dissolving the gas in water...

How much substance do you think is behind this theory?

I reckon being as how most aquatic plants act like most non aquatic plants when out of the water and in contact with unlimited c02 direct to the leaf, there is probably a huge amount of substance behind the theory. The problem is however that underwater getting a fine c02 mist isnt easy, then getting that mist to the leaves is problematic also. Then with all the flow im not sure how long a contact period is needed for this to be efficient?
In an ideal world we'd get super fine mist, that attracted itself to the leaves and sat there for as long as was needed for the plant to uptake!
Cheerio,
Ady.

With a finer mist plants do much better.

Since switching to an 'up' atomizer which gives off much finer bubbles, my plants have gone into over drive, and pearling is quite intense.

Learn to live with the mist :thumbup: from afar, you cant even tell to be honest.

Cheers guys
Flow is not a problem as i have 2 xp3s and 2 1600lph hydros in 400lts.I dont mind the mist,it is very fine and you can't see it from a couple of feet away.I just got it in my head that the co2 needed to be totally dissolved .

My fish don't seem to mind it to be honest,they are a lot healthier and active than they were before I added the plants,co2.The emperor and cardinal tetras spawn on a regular basis which gives my dwarf chiclid extra food.

Mark Evans said:
With a finer mist plants do much better.

Since switching to an 'up' atomizer which gives off much finer bubbles, my plants have gone into over drive, and pearling is quite intense.

Learn to live with the mist :thumbup: from afar, you cant even tell to be honest.

Mark, I apologise if I have already asked this but is your UP inline on the outlet or inlet of your filter. Im seriously thinking of going back to the outlet and getting this mist going... :)

I don't know why co2 most bothers so many people. I actually like the co2 mist as it shows me where the co2 is getting to. In nature water is never going to be completely bubble free anyway!

Matty1983 said:
I don't know why co2 most bothers so many people. I actually like the co2 mist as it shows me where the co2 is getting to. In nature water is never going to be completely bubble free anyway!

I am rapidly subscribing to this perception too Matty. I have never seen CO2 bubbles sticking to my leaves yet though, hence deciding to move my diffuser to the outlet rather than inlet.

I have my glass diffuser placed underneath the filter outlet. As the bubbles rise they get blasted all over the tank.

Matty1983 said:
I have my glass diffuser placed underneath the filter outlet. As the bubbles rise they get blasted all over the tank.

What type of filter outlet do you have ? I use a spraybar for best distribution so am finding it hard to envisage the method you just suggested without having a diffuser at the front of my tank. Got a pic of what you mean ?

Antipofish said:
Matty1983 said:

What type of filter outlet do you have ? I use a spraybar for best distribution so am finding it hard to envisage the method you just suggested without having a diffuser at the front of my tank. Got a pic of what you mean ?

Hi Chris, just put your inline on the filter outlet and the c02 mist will be distributed via the spraybar return. In effect what matty was saying is that his in tank c02 diffuser is below his filter return thus the current distributes the co2 just the same as your spraybar does already :thumbup: .
Cheerio,
Ady.

Ady34 said:
Antipofish said:
Matty1983 said:

Hi Chris, just put your inline on the filter outlet and the c02 mist will be distributed via the spraybar return. In effect what matty was saying is that his in tank c02 diffuser is below his filter return thus the current distributes the co2 just the same as your spraybar does already :thumbup: .
Cheerio,
Ady.

Hi Ady, thanks. Yeah I got what he was saying but was trying to picture it as I dont know what type of filter return he has. If its a spraybar then it would mean having his in tank diffuser at the front of the aquarium I thought, and wanted to clarify it thats the case.

Antipofish said:
Hi Ady, thanks. Yeah I got what he was saying but was trying to picture it as I dont know what type of filter return he has. If its a spraybar then it would mean having his in tank diffuser at the front of the aquarium I thought, and wanted to clarify it thats the case.

Sorry Chris. :oops:

Back