• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

"All In One" question

adutnall

Seedling
Hi All,

I've just started to use fertiliser in my set up and have used the All In One recipe from James' web site (below.) The solution mixed OK and has been left standing for a week or so, but I’ve now noticed what appears to be a precipitation of small white coloured flakes that settle on the bottom of the container – has anyone got any experience of this recipe or similar and seen this before ? Is it still Ok to use the solution (maybe strain the flakes out ?

Thanks in advance for your help !!

Recipe fom James' site;
10g Potassium Nitrate
2.3g Monopotassium Phosphate
4.0g Potassium Sulphate
8.0g Magnesium Sulphate Heptahydrate (Epsom Salts)
0.5g E300 Ascorbic Acid
0.2g E202 Potassium Sorbate
6g EDTA Chelated Trace Elements Mix (TNC Trace, CSM+B)
500ml distilled water

This is the trace elements precipitating out due to the phosphate, I think.

You need to keep the trace in a separate solution.

In your case the precipitate probably won't cause any harm, after all it is made from the above chemicals, but whether precipitate is available for plant use I am not sure.

hinch said:
wouldn't giving it a damn good shake before hand break up any particles?
I think you may have produced insoluble phosphates, that no amount of shaking will dissolve.

Hi all

ian_m said:
Found the reference....
http://www.ukaps.org/EI.htm

"Always separate the CSM+B from the NPK because it has a tendency to react with the phosphate"

This is what the Ascorbic acid prevents when using the all in one ;)

I don't have any experience of the exact recipe you are using, but I do have lots of experience using James'
DIY TPN+ (3) recipe (1 tank running for 3 years and 1 tank running for 2 years) and have never had any settling out, and I mix up 2 months worth at a time.
Maybe try the DIY TPN+ (3) and see how you get on. This also means you have one less ingredient to buy (no Potassium Sulphate) :D

Back