• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My emersed plants - Adventures, tries and failures

ghostsword

I got this Hygrophile sp. growing on wood..

Cannot remember what Hygrophila is. There is also moss, and some Hydrocotyle sp. Japan growing on the wood.

At the submerged area there is a Java Fern, my first ever Java Fern, bought it in 2002. It has been hacked, trimmed hard, left emersed, now submerged, a true survivor.

6871005115_5c8a07a837.jpg
Emersed Hygrophila by GHOSTSWORD, on Flickr

6871000991_6a839e3ed1.jpg

6871010149_f789acf2d0.jpg

I like the idea of the wood hanging in the water like that never thought of it, might give it ago myself.

Hi Luis,

I've not been on here much for a long time, but I'm picking my new tank up on Friday so will be starting an emersed growth project. These pics of Hygro are great! I've grown a stem of hygro corymbosa that looks very similar to yours and it's been transferred from one tank to another that has a strip of foam along the back wall with a trough and holes through to the tank water. With the hygro planted in the trough it has started to show roots in the tank but growth has really been slow above water.
Not wanting to hijack this thread I may send you a PM :)
Nice work!

Cheers

Gavin

We can chat here, it may help others to try also.

This hygro grows fast, took a while to establish but now if its a fast weed.

The rule I follow is that if there are nutrients on the water the plants will grow. :)

Westyggx said:
Luis did you tie the plants onto the wood or how did you get them to start to grow? Cheers

The wood had some holes, so I just placed a stem of hygrophila corymbosa on it, then placed moss on top and some hydrocotyle tripartita.

On a exo terra I have a mess of emersed plants. Marsilea sp, a hydrocotyle that has been with me for two winters now, Polygonum sp. (now flowering) and some moss and riccia emmersed.

See pictures below:
6905388911_577c992f34.jpg
Polygomum sp. Flowers by GHOSTSWORD, on Flickr

6905386171_462292d923.jpg
Polygomum sp. Flowers by GHOSTSWORD, on Flickr

6905395117_a3a4f1e7a8.jpg
Exo Terra by GHOSTSWORD, on Flickr

6905392249_982d0208f7.jpg
Exo Terra by GHOSTSWORD, on Flickr

that is great, emersed growth makes tanks seem very exotic. looks like you will have to raise the light unit.

darren636 said:
that is great, emersed growth makes tanks seem very exotic. looks like you will have to raise the light unit.

I just keep cutting them, I would like them to keep floating at the water level. I just need to trim the roots, they will take hold and grow much more. :)

somethingfishy said:
love the emersed growth ... one day would really like to try it myself but i think i would end up with an emersed cat!

Try it, it is very easy.

If you got ferts on the water the plants will grow on anything.

My next scape will be just wood and then plants attached to it.. :) anything can grow on wood really.

Back