• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best shrimp for my tank?

idris

I'd love to have some Crystal Red Shrimp but I think they are not suited for my community tank.

What I'd like is small shrimp (smaller than my current Amanos) that are easy to spot (ie bright-ish colours) are not too fussy about temp/pH/GH/etc, and breed relatively easily.

I'm probably looking for the Holy Shrimp Grail, but any specific recommendations?
(I'd also like to put some Thai Mico Crabs in at some point, if that's not going to cause chaos.)

I would try cherry shrimp as they are easy to care for and easy to breed and they can live in water from 14c-30c but prefer about 22c. I have 2 micro crabs in my 65l with cherry's and they seem to get on fine, but only seem to come out night?! Oh and also will bring colour to you tank.

Thanks. I thought RCS would be top of the list. Are there any different colours of Cherrys (I assume not from the name!)
I'm aware that shrimplettes may get munched, which I'm not too worried about as it will be good for the fish. But that's also why I want them to breed easily. Will they breed at remps above 22c? (My tank is usually about 25c.)

idris said:
Thanks. I thought RCS would be top of the list. Are there any different colours of Cherrys (I assume not from the name!)
I'm aware that shrimplettes may get munched, which I'm not too worried about as it will be good for the fish. But that's also why I want them to breed easily. Will they breed at remps above 22c? (My tank is usually about 25c.)
They do have different colours. Blue pearls, yellow cherry, orange, rili etc... were bred from cherry shrimp.

Tigers are good choice too. They also help better with algae, then most others.

Mandarin Shrimp is a nice one too. Pretty colorful and slightly larger then cherries. They will not breed just like the Amano shrimps (need salt water to breed), but they are easy to keep.

Orange Sakura is a new shrimp on the market. If you're looking for a special one.

Piece-of-fish said:
They do have different colours. Blue pearls, yellow cherry, orange, rili etc... were bred from cherry shrimp.

Sorry to disagree, but blue pearls were bred from neocaridina cf. zhangjiajiensis rather than neocaridina heteropoda (cherry shrimp), so are actually kin of snowball shrimp rather than cherry shrimp. Not that it makes much difference, care is identical, as is their prolific breeding. The one difference I found is that blue pearl shrimp don't cope as well as cherry shrimp do at higher temperatures.

Ade

Back