• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Emersed aquascape - Jagunco do Monte

darren636 said:
ha :) you are not from around here are you ! ? my girl now thinks that the UK never gets any sun.
nopes... Been living in the UK for 16 years and it barely gets any sun. :)

I live in london. :)

These plants are from the tropics, hairgrass is found all over africa, lileaopis found all over below the equator also, add marsilea and HC, and you telling me that there is more sun here than where they are from?

To get algae is easy, that I know, but let's see if unlimited co2, ferts and water changes offer a fight. Also the water level is now at 15cm, but with time it will drop to just 1cm above the substrate.

For me to worry about heat it would need to be 40c, which has not occurred in the UK for a really long time.

I am getting the plants today, so will either be HC or Hairgrass, I am more interested in Hairgrass, would be great to see a bush with just a the rocks poking out in the middle, maybe add some bonsai trees to it and make an africa landscape with a toy cheetah on top.

I can use blad cypress bonsai for this, they can be with the wet roots. :)

Westyggx said:
Radik said:
yes but water may get really warm :) do you want salad soup? :)

Radik,

I had some plants on the window sill trying to grow emersed, we had hot weather in uk this week.. and all my plants melted (one emersed was growing fine for months) i tested the water and it was very warm.. does warm water kill plants?

Cheers

Hi, aquatics plants grow quite ok in temp up to 28C Degrees max but not all of them can do well at 28. For example our UK willow moss will go brown above 25C Degrees. Tropical plants will do better but be careful with temperature. Direct sun can increase temp in summer to 40C degrees if you have black substrate maybe even higher.

awtong said:
Most people struggle with fitting scapes indoors and finding enough room. This is opening new doors that I had not even considered!

Andy

I have been putting emersed plants on the garden for two years running now. :)

I would like to run a wire outside for a filter, but too much effort really, so I will stick with just plants. Otherwise I would move the majority of my tanks outside.

If you have space, a plug and a tank to play with please have a go, it is easier than it looks.

I bought 4 pots of lileaopsis brasiliensis for the tank, and will be using also hydrocotyle tripartita for the foreground. The only moss I will use will be terrestrial moss on the rocks, I want this as natural as possible, with flowers, spiders and bugs. Soon the butterflies are out, if they give us a visit it would be awesome. :)

Luis
This is fascinating!
I really like reading of others who fight the norm. In this hobby of folk following the old paths like sheep it's refreshing to see you and some others giving those Pre Conceived ideas a kick up the backside. Big pat on the back and best wishes from me! :)
Gavin

Thanks Gavin.. It is only with trial and error that we move forward. :)

The tank is planted and the co2 is on, 24/7. I am using welders bottles, 500grams, should last me a month per bottle. Once the plants are established and the water level drops we should see if the experiment paid off or not.

Also dosing easy carbo to get the algae at bay. 1ml on the 15 odd liters.

Thanks, at least I can make use for the stand and the arcadia pendant.

Now the plants should grow more, they will have heat and lots of light, putting the light up for 12 hours.

I managed to get emersed Java fern going.. So very happy for that.

I LOVE this tank, so different and unique to any I have seen. I'm now thinking about all that space I have in the back garden!

Back