• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

"Dutch something or the other" 120 Gal

foxfish said:
Hi Tom you tanks looks great, how do you find your elephant nose?
Do you just have one, what do you feed & how do they cope with high values of C02?

LFS:)

I keep 5 total, one I've had for years, I added 4 smaller ones, the big one bullies them.
They are more sensitive to CO2 than ANY fish kept by people in planted tanks(well generally, never seen any nice scaped tanks with the fish I've kept, likely for good reason, they are good at plants, lousy at CO2/keeping fish, they gas and kill them).

Adding fish at the end for pretty pic does not count, I want pics over time of the scape and the fish in there. Obviously cryptic fish are tough to take a pic of. So that's an issue also. Since there are maple local hobbyists, they have all seen my tanks and can vouch, but one random person here or there........maybe not.

I moved the Erios and planted basically what will be 3 triangles on Elatine triandra

I might use some scraps of Starougyne purple to wedge between the pennwort and the Tonina.
Not sure yet, might look too busy once I'm done.

Below you can see the difference the tank makes after 5 days from the sellers, the 2 rear plants are acclimated after 5 days and keep getting nicer color, the one on the bottom that are green, I just got those.

Rightside322.jpg

Lpilosa.jpg

One of my little Double trunk elelphant noses.

Gelephas.jpg

I removed some of the Downoi and sold it.

I thinned the pantanal.

Added some nice Rudy Persacria to the rear corner.

Likely will sell of the Erio gioas. I need something darker.

I will keep the Starougyne purple on the far right side, makes a nice contrast against red and bright green.

Still after a nice low red plant. I might have to take the Hygro araguaia and find some other plant for the rear corner where it now resides.

Your tank is definately one of my happy places ... my wife even likes it due to the uber organisation haha
being partially colour blind i cant tell all the colours but the contrasts between everything is stunning.

I will get there as long as there is great inspiration like this (and your tanks a money earner genius)

faizal said:
Tom,.do fissidens & pelia respond to seachem excel well?

Not sure, but they should after a period of adaption.
All plants do near as I can tell.

somethingfishy said:
Your tank is definately one of my happy places ... my wife even likes it due to the uber organisation haha
being partially colour blind i cant tell all the colours but the contrasts between everything is stunning.

I will get there as long as there is great inspiration like this (and your tanks a money earner genius)

Well, a good farm should certainly paid for itself.

I went to get the Red Phantoms for this tank today.......they all had ick, so I'll have to wait a couple weeks.

Damn.

Pelia and fissidens had no issue with overdozing easy carbo. I used 15ml to 50L few times not a sign of burns on plants.

Still waiting for some red stem plants to try out on the Left side there, the green plant(ACMELLA REPENS) I will use somewhat like old school Dutch use Lizard tail.......but need to allow the plant to grow out more before making a zigzag line of it.

The Downoi will be replaced by Erio Kimberly likely or some similar darker Erio rossette like plant.

I allowed the E triandra on the Right side to fill back into the the other rows more than this pic shows.
I will add some more Rotala sunset and L senegalensis to see how they fit in the open section there.

I just uprooted so it's murky water.

2d8bbb2a.jpg

Here's some shrimp attacking a fresh piece of moss wood I added.

790bc572.jpg

plantbrain said:
faizal said:
Tom,.do fissidens & pelia respond to seachem excel well?

Not sure, but they should after a period of adaption.
All plants do near as I can tell.

Thanks Tom :D Just so you should know I have been keeping the Substrate PAR between 30-40 in my tank as you had suggested earlier & it's working beautifully. Thank you for that too.

Radik said:
Pelia and fissidens had no issue with overdozing easy carbo. I used 15ml to 50L few times not a sign of burns on plants.

Cheers Radik. :D

I'll get some mini pellia here shortly, the light I am using is about 6x what you have Faizal in the 120 Gal here.

Did not start off that way, but........I can dial it back if I become less interested in gardening this tank.

plantbrain said:
I'll get some mini pellia here shortly, the light I am using is about 6x what you have Faizal in the 120 Gal here.

Did not start off that way, but........I can dial it back if I become less interested in gardening this tank.

So to match that Tom, whats your CO2 injection rate/period and Fert regime ?

faizal said:
plantbrain said:
....... the light I am using is about 6x what you have Faizal in the 120 Gal here.

Hence the difference between Immortals and your average garden variety aquarist :D

I'm not always interested in this much light though, careful what you wish for, there' a guy named Jack who grew beans......

There are a no# of different things going into a measured value for CO2, mostly the rate of degassing and additions.
Some tanks might measure 70ppm and another might measure 45 ppm, my 180 has 70 and this tank has around 45-55.

So if you just targeted and assumed(Like I use to do) that the higher light tank's CO2 was non limiting for ALL aquaria, you'd be mistaken. It did not make sense to me for awhile.

But by process of elimination and good measurement, I was able to come up with a rational for it and why some tanks just had algae even if the CO2 seemed good compared to another tank.

Finally found some nice Ludwgia inclinata red:

94bf6ed0.jpg

The Amcella repens makes a nice Lizard tail substitute. Lizard tail is an often used plant in Europe and in Dutch scapes, but this native Amcella is a nice alternative that many who have used it, frankly have not scaped with it much.
The Erio is assuie type 2, a smaller Erio and it will likely split a few more times and then the individuals will fatten up much like E. cinereum.
The bright coloration of the L inclinata makes for a nice contrast. It responds well to frequent trimmings and grows quickly.

There really is not quite enough space, I needed another 3-5 inches longer tank, then fill out the rows thicker and nicer.
Maybe I'll come up with something and a decent solution eventually.

I'd thought and still am..........about replacing the Amcella with Downoi.

I'll have that plant(either) come down and "fan out" in the front, the L inclinata will fill in a bit more, as will
CO2 is enough not to get algae, not enough to kill or stress fish, enough to provide nice lush growth for anyplant at these light intensities.

Ludwigia pilosa. L. pilosa has become blotchy red on some leaves, I have about 6-8 plantlets coming along also, but they will take a good 4-8 weeks to research the same sizes as the plants here.
The Blotchiness may be from transplanting them a couple times trying them out in other spots, they are sort of like the L. perunesis and the stem is a little fragile and they have similar root systems.

ef2b650e.jpg

The UG replanting method is the best I've done some far, certainly the best method I've seen and the results are quite nice.
This is roughly 2 weeks after replanting, this use to take 6-8 weeks to get like this.

I moved the Ludwgia "sunset" behind the Erio type 3 Lorax like trees. It grows well and I'm not sure if I plant on keeping it just yet.
It will be difficult to beat up the L inclinata for that coveted spot.

UG growth is amazing mine is much slower but then I do not beam lasers on it.
Have you tried to trim it? If not can you try to trim one part of it.. as you can grow it so quick I would want you to take on guinea ping for me please :)

Cheers

I mowed it like I do with Gloss, but I like the response and aftermath with this method much better.
Looks better and I have some extra to sell afterwards, vs just a bunch of floating leaves that cannot be replanted:)

Recovery seems better also.

What's this replanting method for UG you are talking about Tom?

I've planted some UG 3 weeks ago but I'm struggling to get it secured :(

GM

I use basically 2 Cm dense plugs from the old mat I have that I uproot.

I simply use a screw like method to insert and then work my way from one side to the other trying to leave minimal space between each plug. In 2-3 weeks, you cannot tell it was replanted at all.

The old way took about 8-12 weeks, but I only used about 1/3 the UG to do it.

Back