• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

just another nano

logi-cat

hIt's been a long time coming but i finally put my 3 gallon tank to good use.

Substrate: Akadama
Lighting: Arcadia Arc Pod 11W Daylight bulb (8 hours)
Co2: DIY yeast co2 system
fertilisers: 6 x root tablets from the Nutrients Company, 3 x week micro+marco nutrients, Easylife Profito and Easylife easyCarbo daily.
plants: Hydrocotyle sp. Japan and Micranthemum Micranthemoides, Callitrichoides and Elocharis Acicularis
Filter: Not to sure, but filter media is being seeded by my main tank.

Day 1
Firstly, i apologise for the quality of the picture as it was taken from my iPhone. Just finished planting and flooding the tank. DIY CO2 will be added a few days after.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Day 10
Have been injecting co2 for a week now and the results are encouraging. Hydrocotyle has grown quite alot and new Micranthemum Micranthemoides stems starting to appear. I have an old pierce of dirftwood that is being soaked (taking ages for it to sink), which should give the scape a bit more depth. Here how it looks:

What do you think i should stock in this tank? anything that i can improve on?

Re: logi-cat's 3 gallon scape

Day 20

Very happy with how things are going. Everything seems to be growing in well. The Micranthemum Micranthemoides is starting to take off so i hopefully it will carpet soon. Hyrdrocotyle is growing out of control. I decide to add a few Elocharis Acicularis just to see if it can bring a different dimension to the scape as well as a couple of Staurogyne Repens. No signs of algae, tank is still cycling. I am currently not happy with filter and might go for the BOYU 150L/H external filter. I decided not include the driftwood after all, as i wanted to try a scape with plants only.

thanks davem, this is my first planted tank that is actually going right for once, :lol:

no heater whatsoever, but will add one if i decide to add some livestock.

i want to stock crystal red shrimp, do you think the tank is too small for it? just concerned that a small change in parameters can affect the whole tank.

Re: logi-cat's 3 gallon hightech

Hi logicat,

When you top water up, use a container of maybe 1litre.

Use an airline with an air flow regulator on, place the container above the tank and suck the airline.
Adjust the flow with the regualtor to a drip per second if you are concerned about shocking the shrimp,
This can give great acclimatisation time to minimise the effects of introducing new water.

Hope this helps,

Regards

RE: CRS in a 3 gallon.

You can do it but you are going to run risks of loosing shrimp all the time. Personally i've struggled to keep anything happy in my 10L dennerle other then two Nertite snails. With CRS you pay through the nose for nice ones, even the cheap ones cost loads more then some Cherries for example (whom are much hardier).

It's up to you if you want to run the risk with that high value livestock. It's worked for some. Not for others (like me).

My 25L has been fine for CRS. My 10L next to it, wasn't.

Best Regards,
John

after thinking about it, i don't think ill go for shrimps, may add a few celestial pearl danios instead as they don't require a heater and more tolerable. Looks like i will have to re-do my 60l tank again.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Day 24
Thought i just post a updated picture of the tank.

Re: logi-cat's 3 gallon hightech **UPDATED**

Consider what I did in my tiny tank and add a couple of cheap Nertite snails.

They are quite cute and zero maintenance. Plus they like it a little cooler and hoover algae.

JohnC, i have just gone through all your journeys and they are all amazing. whats your secret in maintaining these tanks?

logi-cat said:
JohnC, i have just gone through all your journeys and they are all amazing. whats your secret in maintaining these tanks?

:D

have a routine

never stop reading

be patience

best regards,
john

we're always learning.

Ahhh...the weed that is Sp.Japan!

You could make some money growing that stuff :thumbup:

Mark Evans said:

It is mental how fast it grows and spreads.

Mark Evans said:

It does grow quick, done a trim this morning. the more you trim it, the more compact it looks.

Hi, just took a TDS reading this morning, came out at 110ppm. last night i done a 30% water change with the tap water coming out at 339ppm. i have only used tap water in this tank, so it got me asking, "did the akadama lower the tds?" just some food for thought.

Day 32
Tank is still cycling, no heater present in the tank hence the bacteria is taking longer to establish (i think). Plant growth is substantial, Hydrocotyle looking more compact at the back and growing in every single gap. Micranthemum Micranthemoides has just spread everywhere and grown quite tall form the previous picture. Decide to add Hemianthus Callitrichoides on the right hand-side. Never had much success with this plant, hopefully things will be different. Had a bit of algae on the back glass, think due to the fluctuation of DIY CO2. Will get a proper pressurise system soon.

Will be carrying out a trim this week, so plants will be up for grabs :thumbup:

Back