• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tom's 60P - Goodbye plants, hello Goldfish

Re: Tom's 60P - Flooded

Tom said:
Just the T5's, about 10/11" above the surface

Wow, impressive :) I love the look of your whole setup :thumbup:

Re: Tom's 60P - Cherry Shrimp

Lights are now 14" above the tank while the diatoms clear, and I have added 20 Cherry Shrimp today. Swallows quoted the wrong price over the phone so got them for just over £1 each :D Also added one Oto from another tank, but will likely get 2 or 3 more when I'm paid.

The Pogostomen stems are now around 2-3" from the surface, and will need a trim soon. I'm nervous about trimming though incase they don't come back! They're looking pretty good so far.

The HC has had 2 trims now too just taking off any upward growth. There has been some dieback underneath, and under the "bridge" area (probably hence the diatoms on them), but the new growth is coming through nicely and it's filling in.

The Hygro. pinnatifida is doing very well, and is definitely a new favourite :D Taken on a more pleasant colour too and looks more established. I think I'll make more use of it when taking cuttings, and plant a bit more densely.

I have some more stems coming from Ed soon, so may cut back on the Pogostomen a bit. It seems like it will be quite difficult to aquascape with it on it's own, so hopefully more variety will help things along.

The moss is making a slow start, but it's getting there. The parts in lower flow seem to be doing the best. I think I should have used a bit more to cover the rocks some more as it looks a bit bare at the moment.

Fish-wise, at the moment I'm thinking Harlequins :)

Tom

All diatoms are now gone, partly thanks to the shrimp (incredibly efficient) and the lower lighting :) I've trimmed the Pogostemon this morning and the trimmings are available for donation. I've also included some Rotala and Ludwigia stems at the back which should start straightening out soon enough.

The hairgrass seems to be struggling at the moment :/ I've never had much luck with it.

Have you added any new plants recently mate ?

Or started using any aerosols or airfreshners nearby?
Must be awful when this happens.

Changes as of today:

R/O water only for water changes - since I started using tap water in 2008/9, I've not had any success with plants and it's been rather frustrating. Previously, rainwater was fantastic so I'm going to trial very soft water again to see if that actually has been the cause.

Double dosing of TPN and TPN+ on alternate days - 6 squirts each (in ADA bottles)

Tom said:
Double dosing of TPN and TPN+ on alternate days - 6 squirts each (in ADA bottles)

If i understand right there is no need to dose both of these, TPN and TPN+ are the same thing except the plus stands for nitrogen and phosphorus added. So in theory you are dosing 4 times the amount of micros using both. Using just TPN+ will save you some £££ though.

Re: Tom's 60P - Changes

I think it was Graeme Edwards that said he had better success using both alternately (sorry if it wasn't you!). I've not noticed anything either way yet. I haven't bought them anyway, I'm still using what I got as a prize for winning the PFK aquascaping competition in 2007/8.

ok mate, just thought id mention it seeing as this hobby can be sooo expensive :thumbup:

Curious if you will remineralise your RO or cut it with tap water?? I use 50/50 ATM but am interested what the effects of pure RO would be without remineralizing?

Looking great Tom. I think though, it's missing something at the back. Any plans for that?....(i may of read over it :oops:)

easerthegeezer said:
Tom said:

If i understand right there is no need to dose both of these, TPN and TPN+ are the same thing except the plus stands for nitrogen and phosphorus added. So in theory you are dosing 4 times the amount of micros using both. Using just TPN+ will save you some £££ though.

Hey Easer... he's not double dosing as he is using them on alternate days. Essentially therefore, dosing micros daily as most of us do, and macros on alternate days only. You may have missed that bit ;)

Back