• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sand Mix

geaves

I currently have another tank ready and waiting albeit for a few more additions, I was going to use John Innes No3, topped off with this which I saw in the local P@H store, I assume it would be Ok and not as dense as play sand.

Geoff

awtong said:
Not sure if that is the exact sand that I used to bulk out my 450l vision but if it is I found it to be extremely dirty with lots of bits of crap in it.

Andy

So I should stick to something from Unipac or ADA then.

For some reason, that is screaming "sharp sand" at me (which is also known as grus), which is basically rougher grained sand than play sand. In fact, I would say that sharp sand is better than the stuff you are looking at because the sand that you are looked at is dyed. So, I recommend that you head down to your local DIY shop and have a look at sharp sand to see if that is what you are after.

When I last bought Homebase sharp sand, it was no worse than any play sand or aquarium gravel for cleaning.

awtong said:
it just looked like it had been bagged up straight off the beach to me!

Andy

Planning on going to Cornwall in the summer to the sister in laws, perhaps I should wait.... :lol:

awtong said:
I am pretty sure that sand isn't dyed it just looked like it had been bagged up straight off the beach to me!
Click on the link to the product and look at the description. The third paragraph states:
The colourfast resin coating will significantly reduce dye leakage into your tanks water;

Click on the link to the product and look at the description. The third paragraph states:
The colourfast resin coating will significantly reduce dye leakage into your tanks water;

BH that bit obviously didn't sink in when I read it..... :thumbup:

I was going to use John Innes No3, topped off with this which I saw in the local P@H store, I assume it would be Ok and not as dense as play sand.

Hi it looks very fine grained, which is perhaps not ideal if you intend to use John Innes No3. I have had great results with pool filter sand grade 6/14 or sand with an average particle size of about 3mm. It's available on eBay.

Pool filter sand is composed of inert silicates that will not affect water chemistry. The size and rounded shape of the grains prevents compaction allowing water movement, nutrient transference, and gas exchange.

This ensures that the top layer of the soil, or oxidised microzone, remains aerobic and a hive of microbial activity; this helps to neutralise toxic substances and unlock nutrients.

and check this out http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=19761

Hi
Trio said
I have had great results with pool filter sand grade 6/14 or sand with an average particle size of about 3mm. It's available on eBay.
Can you post up a link for this sand?
hoggie

KittyKat said:
awtong said:
I am pretty sure that sand isn't dyed it just looked like it had been bagged up straight off the beach to me!

So it does. I stand corrected. Must be slightly different to the stuff I used at that definitely wasn't dyed but that was quite a while ago.

Andy

Troi said:
I was going to use John Innes No3, topped off with this which I saw in the local P@H store, I assume it would be Ok and not as dense as play sand.

Hi it looks very fine grained, which is perhaps not ideal if you intend to use John Innes No3. I have had great results with pool filter sand grade 6/14 or sand with an average particle size of about 3mm. It's available on eBay.

Pool filter sand is composed of inert silicates that will not affect water chemistry. The size and rounded shape of the grains prevents compaction allowing water movement, nutrient transference, and gas exchange.

This ensures that the top layer of the soil, or oxidised microzone, remains aerobic and a hive of microbial activity; this helps to neutralise toxic substances and unlock nutrients.

and check this out http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=19761

Troi, where would you get the soil retainer, somewhere like B&Q or would Wyvale Garden Centre be a better option?

awtong said:
So it does. I stand corrected. Must be slightly different to the stuff I used at that definitely wasn't dyed but that was quite a while ago.
I was quite surprised to see that as well, as it does look like bog standard sand, or maybe it was a copy/paste error on their part.

Aqua sobriquet said:

I just had a look at this and thought it was a good price, but if your keeping corys etc I doubt it would be suitable as it states

"Add Horticultural Sand to your cuttings compost and the abrasive action of the sand on the stems will encourage faster and better roots to form."

The abrasive part changed my mind for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back