• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Foreground Recommendations Please !

adutnall

Seedling
Hi All,

I'm looking for any recommendations for a foreground plant please !

Substrate in the area that I'm looking to fill is about an inch and a half of entirely sand and it is an area that gets a healthy flow. Tank is 100gals with injected CO2 (although below 30ppm) and with 150w of T5s about 30" above the substrate and I've started to use fertilisers over the last couple of months.

I did try Pygmy Chain Swords in this aresa, but they have been less than succesful - most have died off with foliage going brown and not much evidence of any root growth (substrate ?)

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated - thanks !!

Andy

When I asked a similar question my lfs recommended me sagittaria teres, so I bought two pots couple of months ago and they are doing really well. Slowly but surely it has started to cover my substrate and is looking very nice.

You could try Lilaeopsis spp. I have grown them very successfully in my low energy soil substrate tanks under as little as 1.5 watts of T8 lighting per gallon. And despite root development that has never really been that extensive I have always ended up with a very decent foreground carpet. I should think that with CO2 and nutrients they will thrive.

rescape2.jpg

Pogostemon helferi is a nice foreground plant if yu want something that's easy to grow. It also looks different to other plants too.

It's an endless list.

What kind of impression are you after?....soft, subtle....

A mix of 2 or 3 species can be effective.

Back