• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What is the best snail species?

Matt Warner

Hi all, what do people think is the best snail for algae eating in a planted tank. I saw some apple snails in my LFS the other day but wasnt sure if they would eat all my plants. Also are there any good online retailers which sell snails?
Cheers

Thanks for that. Any idea where I can get any from. I don't think the stores near me stock them.

Ramshorn is the best snail for algae. It eats BBA, algae on the glass, and just about everything else except spirogyra (if you find something that eats spirogyra let me know). It doesn't touch plants. MTS is also good at eating algae on the glass, but it wont touch BBA. These two snails are good because unlike nerites they will eat things other than algae on hard surfaces. Which means it's easier to keep them alive. Also, they are not as big and heavy as nerties and so can eat algae off of stem tips etc. They will also breed in freshwater whicn nerites dont.

The good thing about apple snails is that they eat duckweed - except spixis - which will eat your plants instead.

I have just got a load of ramshorn snails and have found them to be effective although the ones of a certain size tend to dig a little where the plants havent fully established, I have a few extra I could send you for a small price although I am not around for a week or so from the end of today.

Hi all,
Frothhelmet has already written my answer:
Ramshorn is the best snail for algae. It eats BBA, algae on the glass, and just about everything else except spirogyra (if you find something that eats spirogyra let me know). It doesn't touch plants. MTS is also good at eating algae on the glass, but it wont touch BBA. These two snails are good, because unlike nerites they will eat things other than algae on hard surfaces..........
+1

cheers Darrel

Back