• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Java fern

Palm Tree

Hi I have a few questions about growing java fern. My tank is 180cmx50cmx70cm (LxWxH) and I would like It full of lush green java fern, literally full of it. What lighting and ferts would you people suggest for it. I already have a 8x30w t8 fixture which is split into 2 banks of 4 tubes that came with the tank when I got it but I would be willing to make a new fixture say 4x39w t5ho tubes with refelctors or something like that. I have no idea on ferts but would like dry ferts if possible as its a large tank and im not a millionaire and I understand there cheaper. Any help is appriciated, cheers.

Would you suggest I run 4 or 8 tubes .What do you mean by not neding full EI dosing? I dont really want to add nitrates as my tap water is high enough in them anyway

Palm Tree said:
Would you suggest I run 4 or 8 tubes .What do you mean by not needing full EI dosing? I don't really want to add nitrates as my tap water is high enough in them anyway
Four T8 tubes would be okay.
Regular water changes will keep this plant in good condition.
Its very slow growing so it would be beneficial for the plant .......if you add some sort of dry ferts/trace.
hoggie

Ok im gonna get 8 new tubes and i'll order 4 diferent varieties, regular, philippene, narrow leaf and windelov and see which ones look best. If they work out mabey some anubias is on the cards and some crinium thaianum. I have one last question, as I have a few tanks which need plants and I love java fern and anubias does anyone know if they grow quicker emersed (like a 3ft tank with a tight fitting glass lid) than underwater. I know these plants grow emersed in the wild and in my tank at the moment CO2 would be the limiting factor but emersed growing would solve that. I was also thinking of adding ferts into the misting spray so surely then with some decent lights i'd have a bit of a farm growing?

Palm Tree said:
Ok im gonna get 8 new tubes and i'll order 4 diferent varieties, regular, philippene, narrow leaf and windelov and see which ones look best. If they work out mabey some anubias is on the cards and some crinium thaianum. I have one last question, as I have a few tanks which need plants and I love java fern and anubias does anyone know if they grow quicker emersed (like a 3ft tank with a tight fitting glass lid) than underwater. I know these plants grow emersed in the wild and in my tank at the moment CO2 would be the limiting factor but emersed growing would solve that. I was also thinking of adding ferts into the misting spray so surely then with some decent lights i'd have a bit of a farm growing?

hello you will find windelov will not do very well without co2 but all the other 3 will do well without c02 large water changes and a good fert should serve you well i have 4 types in my tank just waiting to get some narrow leaf of a friend when his sends out some plantlets out here is my blog http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20228

Hi
The problem is trying to keep the humidity and temperature up trying to grow them emmersed.
You could add a small heater in the aquarium, say under 3 or 4 inches of water set the temperature to high this may provide enough humidity... keep the plants above the water line.
hoggie

malawistu said:
Palm Tree said:

hello you will find windelov will not do very well without co2 but all the other 3 will do well without c02 large water changes and a good fert should serve you well i have 4 types in my tank just waiting to get some narrow leaf of a friend when his sends out some plantlets out here is my blog http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20228

Your tank looks mint, the (phillipene?) java fern at the back looks so nice. I was looking at those Led aquabeams and I keep promising myself a couple for christmas if I can get some second hand and cheap enough.
I'll try the windelov after all there only £4 on ebay, mainly because I want the whole collection of java fern cultivars and if it doesnt grow well I'll put it in a smaller tank with CO2.

Apparently java fern is one of the worst plants for drying out. If you were growing them emersed then you'd need to be vigilant with misting.
Good luck with the tank though, I like the idea of an all fern tank.

Kris

KrisHumphreys1991 said:
Apparently java fern is one of the worst plants for drying out. If you were growing them emersed then you'd need to be vigilant with misting.
Good luck with the tank though, I like the idea of an all fern tank.

Kris
Yeah I plan on covering it with clingfilm or something to keep the humidity in. I have this old planted tank book with shows a 48x18x18 tank full of emerald green ferns, it looks amazing.

You could maybe try a vivarium fogger? That would make sure they were kept moist all the time I'd say, not sure if it would have any effect on light or anything though.

Can't wait to see it when you finally get it going.

:D

Kris

malawistu said:
Thank you it's tmc grobeam 1000hd tile with a controller I was really lucky and got it all for £80 3 month old all I need is the needle and I'll have them all :)

Sent from my miPhone using my fingers
You need Microsorum pteropus Tropica, Microsorum pteropus Undulata, Microsorum pteropus Trident, Microsorum pteropus Red and I cant remember but Im pretty sure you dont have Microsorum pteropus Narrow. I thought there were 4 until I started looking today, There is just so many varieties. If I get hold of any of the rarer ones i'll send you some as long as you take a picture afterwards :)

Palm Tree said:
You need Microsorum pteropus Tropica, Microsorum pteropus Undulata, Microsorum pteropus Trident, Microsorum pteropus Red and I cant remember but Im pretty sure you dont have Microsorum pteropus Narrow. I thought there were 4 until I started looking today, There is just so many varieties. If I get hold of any of the rarer ones i'll send you some as long as you take a picture afterwards :)

:wideyed: o_O :lol: wow i only did a general search love the look of Microsorum pteropus Trident going to start looking around for some dont forget if you find some to send me some :thumbup:

you need to post 25 times. After that you will have access To the swap , for sale section

Someone tell me otherwise but I always thought that java fern did best attached to bog wood. I would love to see some pics of this tank when you get it up and running.

Back