• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Show Us Your Rare And Odd Fish!

None of these are especially rare, but...

Aphyosemion
ResizeWizard-1-15.jpg

The only photo I have of the baileyi puffed
02-12-06_0813.jpg

Shellie
shellie-5.jpg

shellie-1.jpg

OK this one is less common. T. abei?
IMG_5071.jpg

Wow Tom,
thats some diversity of fish you have there!
Ive never seen a puffer puffed before! Does he do it regularly?
Love the killifish.
Ady.

He hasn't puffed for years now (that I've seen). He used to do it randomly, or when he caught his own reflection. He doesn't attack glass quite as much these days!

The others I no longer have, but are ones I've kept over the last 3-4 years. The abei puffer I was particularly fond of, but our cleaner knocked the light into the tank one day by accident. When I got home, the water was 40 degrees :/

Some of my previous fish over the years, (Not the greatest photos sorry)
Apistogramma eremnopyge
100_0779.jpg

Nanochromis sabinae,
Nan_sab_female_sm.jpg

Biotecus sp.
IMG_0021.jpg

Enantiopus melanogenys 'Utinta'
25082011558.jpg

Cyprichromis microlepidotus 'Bulu point'
25082011560.jpg

And a video of some current fish,
th_14022012011.jpg
Cynotilapia zebroides 'Jalo Reef', Labeotropheus fuelleborni OB, Pseudotropheus johanni, Neolamprologus helianthus, Lepidiolamprologus meeli and some Sanke swordtails (though they don't count as rare!!!)

Nice pictures guys :D
Really interesting :D
Look forward to seeing more! Its always nice to see what people are proud of :)

Kris

Christie_ZXR said:
Feeding's a bit of a pain with the puff, he has to have thaimanese-free foods for the most part. I give him cockles as his staple, always soaked in vitazin vitamins first. He also gets the odd mussel and bloodworms, but pretty rarely. Nutritionally, from what I can tell, Locusts would be an ideal diet. But having seen him eat a locust once, never trying it again!

Hi Christie
have you tried mealworms?
you can buy them live and keep/breed them easily, because of this you get the oportunity to feed the worms on a diet that will in turn benefit youre fish rather than low grade food that the breeders tend to give them which could be lacking.
you also get giant varieties for the larger more aggressive feeders.

michael

I did consider them actually, because the beardie has them occasionally, so I sometimes have them at home. Only thing that put me off, and it might be totally wrong, is I remember reading somewhere not to give them to the beardie too often since they can be hard to digest. No idea how Dimmi's digestive system compares to fish though!
I'll do a bit of research on what's in them, and what's best to feed them though, cheers. It's worth looking at again. Irritatingly, I've found what looks to be a great article on T. occelatus, but the website's a bit confusing. I think you have to be a research student to be allowed look at it, and I'm not :(

Mushroom's had a few lancefish to try recently, which he seems to have loved, and I've absolutely hated!! So glad I don't need to feed live fish! I know I'm a hippy, but ever since I realised as a kid that that stuff from the chippy up the road and Freddie the goldfish were the same thing, I've not eaten fish myself, so feeding them to a puffer has been a bit weird! lol.

years ago i used to give them to my oscars as a treat maybe once a week and they really seemed to enjoy them and didnt appear to cause any problems, the kids loved hand feeding the oscars with them.
i used to feed the oscars live fish as well and i agree with you that there isnt much nice about it other than i know my ossies were getting a good meal (an i still enjoy fish an chips) :angelic:

i hear what youre saying when it comes to reading up on certain things though, sometimes when articles get over technical it is a bit off putting , annoying when you want to learn and you end up coming away more confused :?

take care

michael

It's not that, it's an article about breeding them which I've heard of, but I could only find it on this website that wants me to log in :-S

I got them in Wholesale Tropicals in London a couple of years ago; Kesgrave Tropicals sometimes have them and do mail order. As for the water, don’t think they are fussy, they were in local hard water and now I have them with crystal reds pH6.5 GH GH4 and less than 1 KH at 23C. They need very small foods, micro worms and ground fish food do them fine.
Cheers Andy a bit of a curiosity but one of the very few shrimp safe fish.

Thanks, yeah I did, its a bit of a hobby of mine, taking fish pics.
Cheers
Peter

thats' peter from PFK forum. i recognised your style. fab as always.

George Farmer said:
Liam said:
Thanks, yeah I did, its a bit of a hobby of mine, taking fish pics.
Cheers
Peter
And very good you are too! I've just taken a nosey at your Flickr. :thumbup:

Me to and :woot: especially the daphnia etc...

Back