• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tom's 60P - Goodbye plants, hello Goldfish

Re: Tom's 60P - 4th failure in a row now.

Hi Tom

how old was your TPN & TPN+? I am sure that differing enviornmental conditions can deteriorate the chelation and induce bad things into the liquids; contamination perhaps? Maybe that lead to your shrimp death, and also induced baddies in the tank to which plants succumbed??

Just a thought since everyone has scrutinised everything else..

-niru

Radik said:
One thing to the shrimp death. It is linked to seyru stone. As they increase GH and KH over week + your dozing, then you do water change and you make rapid TDS change in your tank. You give it RO water 90/10 so TDS 30 maybe.. stones will increase it to 250+ over week then you do 50% water change and your TDS is suddenly half. So what happens to shrimp cells? They explode under osmotic shock and wave bye bye. I removed seiru stones from every tank where I want to keep shrimp even simple cherries. 50% changes would be a killer. My TDS movement in fully high tech tank is +-30-40 which I found somewhat safe.

I changed over to RO the day after the Shrimp had all gone (4th April). Would have sounded like a reasonable explanation otherwise, so thanks for the idea.

niru said:
Hi Tom

how old was your TPN & TPN+? I am sure that differing enviornmental conditions can deteriorate the chelation and induce bad things into the liquids; contamination perhaps? Maybe that lead to your shrimp death, and also induced baddies in the tank to which plants succumbed??

Just a thought since everyone has scrutinised everything else..

-niru

I asked about this in a separate thread. Darrel seemed to think that it shouldn't be a problem leaving it bottled for the time I have. They've been in a box in the dark in a cabinet since 2008ish, sealed.

Reading through this thread I have to agree with LD. I had similar attacks on dwarf hairgrass in a low tech/easy carbo tank, when I skipped doses and also on some pogostemon helferi in my high tech tank.

I've found that as that plant mass starts increasing you have to up the gas too. In a little over 5 months my gas injection has been increased 4-5 times. Bubble count, what is that? I must be at around 10-12 bps now through an inline, maybe more. Fish are fine but I don't have sensitive shrimp to worry about. It can be daunting increasing the gas.

Diatoms will come and go, you have oto's don't worry about diatoms.

I hope you get it nailed fella, it's a nice scape and I would love to see it all nice and lush. Don't give up! :thumbup:

New CO2 injection method in place. Powerhead -> Atomizer -> Spraybar
IMG_6214.jpg

The atomizer has reduced my bubble count to less than 1bps but the amount and size of the bubbles is amazing. I'll make sure to de-scale it weekly to keep it at it's best. Hopefully there might be some improvement if that is the issue.

Not sure now if the diatoms will go without me removing the HC. I really don't want to have to re-plant it, but I will if I have to.

I have similar size tank Tom not sure what bubble counter you have if it is the glass one from china I have around 3bps minimum and I have same atomizer. I am injecting on inlet filter and it is doing good job :)

I'd consider ditching EI. To be honest, it's the best thing I've ever done. I had a 'fail' not so long back using it, and a couple of 'average at best' tanks.

Since using lower 'everything' ferts, co2, light, I'm now growing some of the healthiest plants I've seen....and I've seen a few tanks outside of my house to compare them to :angelic:

Radik said:
One thing to the shrimp death. It is linked to seyru stone. As they increase GH and KH over week + your dozing, then you do water change and you make rapid TDS change in your tank. You give it RO water 90/10 so TDS 30 maybe.. stones will increase it to 250+ over week then you do 50% water change and your TDS is suddenly half.

RE shrimp deaths with seryiou stone...never suffered it, even with lengthy times between water changes....you remember how much stone I had in that last tank of mine ;)

Good luck Tom.

Hi Mark

yes we have seyru in office tank and cherries they are ok but I tried them at home with RO water in week from 0TDS you get 250TDS. If you use hard tap water these stones will not release much in already saturated water. Then you have no issue.

Radik said:
es we have seyru in office tank and cherries they are ok but I tried them at home with RO water in week from 0TDS you get 250TDS.

Ahhh, sorry. didn't realise about the R/O.... yeah, understand now.

Mark Evans said:
I'd consider ditching EI. To be honest, it's the best thing I've ever done. I had a 'fail' not so long back using it, and a couple of 'average at best' tanks.

I am also not using EI but premixed ferts 5x a week maybe less than half of EI dozing normally. And I do fine for now. I can not move light 2x24W further from surface I am looking to replace ballast for dimmable as I would like to slow it down at some point.

In my other tanks I have dimmable T5 lamp or LED's and I figured out that less is more some time ago. I doze 3x a week only maybe 20% of EI amount and Co2 is normal level never had any issue and everything is growing great. It is all about light levels.

So Tom you have to find the right balance.

Radik said:
I have similar size tank Tom not sure what bubble counter you have if it this the glass one chinese I have around 3bps minimum and I have same atomizer. I am injecting on inlet filter and it is doing good job :)

It's one from AquaEssentials. I'll have a play with it tomorrow when it comes back on. I'll probably set it to 2bps for the time being, and see if there's any improvement.

Mark Evans said:

Since using lower 'everything' ferts, co2, light, I'm now growing some of the healthiest plants I've seen....and I've seen a few tanks outside of my house to compare them to :angelic:

Gotta say, when using the full ADA system of lean ferts and Malaya soil, it did work very very well indeed. But then maybe I just had my CO2 better balanced. I'll keep on EI for the time being and see how things look. I'm not seeing any fert-related algae, it's just diatoms and poor health, but I'm sure it will be worth experimenting with.

Re: Tom's 60P - New tactics...

Yes it is the same I have so bubble is same size and I am sure you are not having enough Co2 injected. I also start 4 hours before lights on and ending 1 hour before lights off.

Here's the new inhabitant - a Black Ranchu that's been separated from the rest since he was mauled. Our 240l split and so they all had to go in a small tank for a few weeks. My suspicions are with a bigger Ryukin! Well the Ranchu has been healing very well indeed, and will now be living in the 60P. I'm unsure what to do for decor, so for now the tank is bare.

IMG_6282.jpg

Hello

I will try to help you, by saying what i think about.

During the first weeks is essential to be careful and monitor NH4 NO2 and NO3. Your Diatoms algae are a result of excessive levels of NH4 , NO2 and NO3. To avoid this high levels you must conduct with frequent water changes, and avoid introduce fish, food, and NUTRIENTS containing NO3 (nitrogen)

As far as i saw you started to dose some nitrogen, and with ADA aquasoil amazonia also releasing nitrogen compounds, it has become toxic to shrimps and bloom diatom algae.

If you want to have success by setup up a planted tank, take a look at his useful article (in my opinion) : http://www.naturalaquario.com/?page_id=884

cumps

Back