• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Film on water

George Farmer said:
I still get a film now and again.

It's just something I'm happy to live with. Sometimes it goes for weeks, then comes back for no apparent reason. All dosing, maintenance practices etc. remaining constant.

Interestingly my shrimp seem to enjoy sitting just below the water line on some protruding wood and constantly grazing on whatever bacteria etc. live in this 'film/scum/biofilm'. So I'm happy to compromise on a minor aesthetic issue if it's providing food for my shrimp. I'll try to get an image to share. It's fascinating seeing their little claws scraping the surface like the clappers!

Sounds interesting George. I look forward to seeing the pic :)

I had a water surface film when my tank was newly set up, and more recently the day before my crypts started to melt, my conclusion its the plants releasing proteins or something when theyre 'stressed' or in need of something there not getting fert wise. In my opinion a film is not a good sign and relates to an imbalance or an imminent problem. No scientific proof however just my feeling.

I had a water surface film when my tank was newly set up, and more recently the day before my crypts started to melt, my conclusion its the plants releasing proteins or something when theyre 'stressed' or in need of something there not getting fert wise. In my opinion a film is not a good sign and relates to an imbalance or an imminent problem. No scientific proof however just my feeling.

Interesting theory but my plants are doing well and I have a scum the thickness of treacle, and since they are in soil and benefiting from ferts dosing I think I've got any deficiencies well covered.

I've said this couple of times before, but I find gouramis to do a great job on keeping the surface clean.

I believe they're surface breathers, and in doing so, somehow help keep the film off the water surface.

Whenever I've had them, my water surface has always been spotless. The natural coloured ones don't look out of place in many set ups and could be a great addition.

Give em a try...

6840404847_2c136e3b44_b.jpg
gouramis1 by saintly's pics, on Flickr

NeilW said:
Wonder if carbon or Purigen in the filter would help?

Neil, it makes no difference unless the water surface is being broken. When I have my return flow sub surface I get the film, when I have the return above then its clear. By breaking up whatever it is and dispersing back into the water column, however, the carbon and purigen would be able to have the chemical action on it I imagine.

I've noticed that the healthier my plant growth is, the less scum is an issue. Until I go silly with frozen BW feedings, which seems inevitable

It was on a post somewhere on this forum by Clive, where it was stated that it can be a sign of sick plants and that they give this film off if not well. So if it's not from food or anything airborn, then it could be that plants arent happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark Evans said:
I find film is a 'new tank' thing. Until everything stables out, just keep up good 'house keeping' so to speak.

I take it off with a plastic beaker daily. After a few weeks, it should go. I've not seen it on my 120cm for about 7 or 8 weeks now.
Yip Mark
Totally agree
Ive had this recently...in a new set up.
Think its part and parcel of setting up a immature system.
I didn't let it bother me that much I just raised the pipe up to have more surface movement.
I didn't even bother skimming it off just blasted it with the outlet pipe to break it up.
The scum disappeared eventually.
Cheers
hoggie

i've had thick surface scum on my dwarf puffer tank since its been set up 8 months ago its gone from high tech ei ferts to low tech no ferts scum never went. surface agitation with the spray bar just turned it into huge white bubbles. in the end i modified a small hob filter intake with an acrylic u bend drilled holes and covered with a pre filter sponge and it works for me not the most unobtrusive solution but is well hidden surface has been clear for a couple of months now will post some pics next time i clean it for anyone thats interested.

tim said:
i've had thick surface scum on my dwarf puffer tank since its been set up 8 months ago its gone from high tech ei ferts to low tech no ferts scum never went. surface agitation with the spray bar just turned it into huge white bubbles. in the end i modified a small hob filter intake with an acrylic u bend drilled holes and covered with a pre filter sponge and it works for me not the most unobtrusive solution but is well hidden surface has been clear for a couple of months now will post some pics next time i clean it for anyone thats interested.

Tim that would be great a few pictures, because I'm seriously looking toward a HOB on the current setup purely as an experiment for a slightly larger tank, would be interested to know what HOB, I've been looking at AquaEl from an online retailer in Ireland. The AquaEl having a higher lph than I've seen on others, well on paper anyway.

i only use this hob to clear surface scum main filter is a cristalprofi hob filter was just a chep azoo mingion i had lying around will post some pics saturday it's due a clean then. the fluval edge comes with an aqua clear hob filter not sure of the lph but i'm collapsing one down in about 3 weeks so your welcome to it if you wanna cover postage.

tim said:
i only use this hob to clear surface scum main filter is a cristalprofi hob filter was just a chep azoo mingion i had lying around will post some pics saturday it's due a clean then. the fluval edge comes with an aqua clear hob filter not sure of the lph but i'm collapsing one down in about 3 weeks so your welcome to it if you wanna cover postage.
Thanks for the offer, that would be great, drop me a pm when you have it ready......I know the edge HOb's can be uprated by replacing the impeller. I don't have room for a canister on the next tank so a hob or wet/dry is the only option, but I would also like to clear the internal on my current cube just for aesthetics and again a hob is an obvious choice.

few pics of hob
7089946445_fc780f040a.jpg

acrylic u bend with pre filter sponge
6943878824_c83281d47e.jpg

attached to hob intake
6943877384_fb028b721d.jpg

sits nicely in the corner not the most discreet solution but it seems to work and it will be hidden behind a piece of bog wood eventually
7089950145_09b96bb291.jpg

filter chamber is stuffed with filter floss hope this is of help

Back