• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Should I pre mature filter?

Bartash

I am just gathering the bits and pieces together to set up a shrimp tank, do you think it would be beneficial to mature the sponge filter I have bought for it in my main tank whilst i am gathering the rest of the stuff. I will be buying the rest of the stuff on the 24th April which is pay day for me before the wife spends it lol. Add another week for the stuff to arrive and set the tank up. This will give the sponge filter about 17 days to mature, do you think this would be enough time or do you advise longer?

thanks everyone

Carl

Thx guys I thought 17 days was abit short but at least I won't have to cycle for so long when in the new tank. It will at least cut the cycle time down for me abit. I will still have to find some nice shrimp to go in there so maybe there will be a few extra weeks cycling.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Hi all,
I am just gathering the bits and pieces together to set up a shrimp tank, do you think it would be beneficial to mature the sponge filter I have bought for it in my main tank whilst i am gathering the rest of the stuff.
Same as the others, definitely put it in the main tank. I'd squeeze out your main sponge, and give the new sponge a good soak in the mulm etc. before putting it in the filter, which should give it a bit of a head start. Personally I'd still plant the shrimp tank and give it a bit of time to mature before I added any shrimps. Six weeks is the figure that comes to mind, but that probably is a bit cautious. I'd also add a few dead leaves when I set up, sounds strange but it works for me.

I keep on trying to have a small planted tank set-up, but without any fish or shrimps, the only problem is once you have a small tank set-up and matured, the temptation to put something in it becomes irresistible.

cheers Darrel

With seventeen day's for spongefilter to become seeded, ,lot's of plant's,small bio-load that shrimps would represent, I would feel comfortable placing a few cherry shrimp in straight away but agree with other's,,letting the tank mature a little bit would be benefit to shrimps,plant's.
Might try some Amano shrimps and see how they do before trying the Cherry shrimps?

Back