• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Re: Tom's Bucket O' Mud - Giant wood crisis

Yikes!

The Bucket of Mud living up to it's name -

destruction1e.jpg

Total chaos (it got worse) -

destruction2.jpg

Re: Tom's Bucket O' Mud - Mass destruction

Nooooo! I am sad to see this tank being dismantled.....but also quite excited to see what you replace it with. Did your liquorice gouramis ever end up breeding in there?

hope your field trip goes well, this tank is direct inspiration for my next set up, a four foot rectangle for croaking gourami and microdevario, so basically i wanna know the plants you used for the emergent growth.

Tom's Bucket O' Mud - Mass destruction

darren636 said:
hope your field trip goes well, this tank is direct inspiration for my next set up, a four foot rectangle for croaking gourami and microdevario, so basically i wanna know the plants you used for the emergent growth.

Ditto I've just had a 120x70x30h made to try this :0)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darren, the riparian plants are a mix of Anthurium and Spathiphyllum lillies, Maranta (prayer plants) and a prayer palm (Chamaedorea elegans - this hasn't done so well). All bought from generic garden centres/homebase etc. There's also a large emergent Echinodorus.

just re reading your journal. it is great stuff. will go for echinodorus and moisture loving ferns, think the lady fern will be too big though, maybe maidenhair will work with the humid surroundings, draping over the edges of my new (old) brass rimmed tank. will pinch your stick-on plant holder idea though. although i already thought of that. just figuring out which soil to use. think i will go with pond soil, hopefully it will not give off ammonia.

Don't quite have time for a full update, but here's a shot of how it looks from the front now -

april2012.jpg

I've also shuffled the livestock around a bit, so inhabitants are now 5 Yunnanilus sp. 'rosy', 8 Danio erythromicron and 3 Dario hysginon (and the otos are still in there from before).

This is a cool scape, and im presuming not heated so literally 'cool' also? Is that a crypt growing emersed at the right front?... doesnt even look like its attached to anything.
I was quite fancying some erythromicron myself but read they prefer harder, alkaline water so that rules them out with my tap water being soft! :thumbdown: .
Cheerio,
Ady.

Tom's Bucket O' Mud - Mass destruction

sanj said:
You have got to live up to this one now that you are ordering a similar style tank Alistair. :p

It is so very tempting, I think Tom you have helped popularise the low tech approach, most people would love a tank like this, i know I would.

Thanks sanj, no pressure then lol. Tanks here now actually will be starting my journal this week . Not quite sure I'd match this but it's given me all the inspiration I need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hehe. Just remember Alistair that this took ages to really come to maturity. I'd really recommend planting as heavily as you can afford from the start to speed things up a bit.

Ady, I'm in a soft water area too, but have switched to hard water fish because the soil in the tank has really driven up the hardness. And it is heated to 23 degrees (might drop it a couple of degrees for the new fish); the heater is hidden in a hollow under the tree stump. Oh, and the thing on the surface at the right is a pair of echinodorus plantlets, growing on the end of a flower stalk.

Back