• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nano stem plant ideas please

m_attt

Hi bit of help required on stem plants that dont grow to big or wild quickly for nano tanks :)

This is my tank a 25l P@h cube, Going to be for shrimp so I have deliberately made the front quite open and a bigger "beach" so have somewhere to view them. The area i have left is the back behind the wood so was looking for ideas to fill this, any help would be much appreciated :)

Thanks

(bit of diatoms on the sand, but its only two weeks old fingers crossed it will go)

05042012657.jpg

05042012656.jpg

05042012658.jpg

That's a lovely little tank and your shrimp will love it in the grass!

I'd recommend H. micranthemoide. It's leaf shape, colour and size will match your tank well. Sadly, you're going to struggle to find a stem plant that doesn't grow quickly.

Hi matt, thats looking great already ! Which Eleocharis is it you have there ? It looks very healthy. Can I ask how many pots worth that is ? In answer to your question, I think to add a little redness to it, you might consider Hygrophila Araguaia. I has lovely structure and a subtle colour to it and is not too fast growing I am told. Actually, I have some on order so if you want, if I have any left over, there will be some going. The Pinitafida looks great at the back there. Almost like Palm Trees :)

Thanks Dan, for the kind comments and I will check it out now :)

Antipofish Thanks, Its a mix of Parvula (front) and Acularis (further back) not that it makes much difference as they both seam to grow the same :) I think it is 6 pots in total, but there are loads of runners allready which can only be down to the amazonia as Ive not had it grow this fast before. I was thinking maybe some red will work so i will check that one out too :)

thanks

I'd also consider the Tropica 1-2 grow! The way in which these plants grow,makes them the perfect addition to Nano aquariums.

Mark Evans said:
I'd also consider the Tropica 1-2 grow! The way in which these plants grow,makes them the perfect addition to Nano aquariums.

Hey Mark, I dont know a lot about them, so I will ask the question, "What is it about them that makes them perfect for nano's ?" I am about to set up my own 30L Dennerle Nano :)

Antipofish said:
Hey Mark, I dont know a lot about them, so I will ask the question, "What is it about them that makes them perfect for nano's ?" I am about to set up my own 30L Dennerle Nano

The way they've been grown, ensures that you get a lot more plant for your money. From experience (Rotala) 1 tub of 1-2grow, maybe the same as 4 or 5 pots!

An inch square of 1-2grow, when compared to the potted equivalent has many more 'growing points' or 'nodes' This means, from the start, you get a 'bush' effect much quicker.

They're basically 'bonsai' plants. but when they grow in the aquarium, they grow as normal.

Also, they grow their underwater leaves right from the base of the plants.(1cm high)

Unlike the potted brother, which needs to 'transform' maybe 6 inches higher than where the plant was actually planted.

They're easier to maintain in a Nano environment.

I'm completely sold them.

Very nice scape, I love the grass and beach area. Can't help you on the stem choice I'm afraid though!

Where's the best place to get these invitro pots online?

Mark Evans said:
Antipofish said:
Hey Mark, I dont know a lot about them, so I will ask the question, "What is it about them that makes them perfect for nano's ?" I am about to set up my own 30L Dennerle Nano

The way they've been grown, ensures that you get a lot more plant for your money. From experience (Rotala) 1 tub of 1-2grow, maybe the same as 4 or 5 pots!

An inch square of 1-2grow, when compared to the potted equivalent has many more 'growing points' or 'nodes' This means, from the start, you get a 'bush' effect much quicker.

They're basically 'bonsai' plants. but when they grow in the aquarium, they grow as normal.

Also, they grow their underwater leaves right from the base of the plants.(1cm high)

Unlike the potted brother, which needs to 'transform' maybe 6 inches higher than where the plant was actually planted.

They're easier to maintain in a Nano environment.

I'm completely sold them.

Sounds better than slice bread. Do our sponsors sell them (i'm being lazy, I should look really) I may have to order some for the nano then. Cheers Mark.

I Purchased some and they were very good (Glosso I think!)
Whereas Aquatic plant enthusiasts on ebay sell a german equivalent to 1-2 Grow! and I purchased a HC Cuba in the German knock off, and within a few days of receipt ( bit busy so I couldnt get round to planting quick enough)
They had some white mould on the 'Vitro' itself.

Buy Tropica, nothing else.

Just my input :)

Regards

Wont that be overkill on the lighting, 11w seams plenty.

And went for Dan's suggestion in the end, thanks very much it was a good one, the plant really fits in :)

I was going to say Walichii. Too late now I guess! Tank looks great though!
How's the 11w light fairing out?
Kris

thanks, the light seams all good. Nice steady growth an no algae as of yet :)

heres the tank now with the new plant,

15042012692.jpg

1-2 grow ---not much choice in the uk. green machine have zero as far as i can see, aquajardin have a small selection.

from what i believe that theres gonna be a big push for 1-2 grow in the very near future. The stuff sounds great though.

Yes and some stem plants are only worth in in-vitro cups for the reason that normal pots has very long stems as they arrive, They are hard to keep emersed so mostly end up submersed then they are too tall to handle after a while. So you need fresh tropica stock. In-vitro is like amanos wabikusa you can do really dense stem planting with them. I am trying now rotundifolia this way in 30cm cube so far so good. You can get full choise of 1-2 grow the thing is people are not buying it much, you can get any plant in in-vitro not from tropica even in 10cm cups. but again it was not labeled tropica nobody will buy it :)

Back