• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filters on Shrimp Only Tank?

Kristoph91

What kind of filters are you guys running on your shrimp only tanks?

I accidentally sucked a juvenile shrimp into the impeller on my Azoo HOB today. Felt so bad after it. :(

Guess some have to get lost along the way though..

Cheers,
Kris

Hi all,
What kind of filters are you guys running on your shrimp only tanks?
It doesn't matter what the filter is, you just need a sponge on the inlet. There are 2 advantages to this, it stops shrimp massacre in the impeller, and it gives the shrimp a browsing surface where small bits of food and algae accumulate. It is a win-win situation.

I'd just DIY one for your HOB, I like a big PPI10 block, because it means you can ignore it for a long time before it needs cleaning, and I don't care about aesthetics. If you want a less obtrusive look, you could make a smaller one from dark PPI20 (medium) or PPI30(fine) sponge sheet. The finer the pore size, and the smaller the sponge, the more frequent cleaning will have to be.

A fantastically attractive DIY Sponge in this thread <http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=20831&p=212056&hilit=darrel+Eheim+sponge#p212056>.

Via TA Aquaculture <http://www.ta-aquaculture.co.uk/Filtration-Air.htm>, or ebay, you could buy a sponge, if you didn't fancy making one.

The other advantage of DIY is that you can make exactly the size and shape you want. I've deliberately made a couple of quite sculptural ones, without any straight edges, to see if they merge into the back-ground any better.

cheers Darrel

I dont like the stocking method. The filter clogs in one day...Foam block is a good idea, or just use an internal filter. Eheim also makes a prefilter sponge if you are using their stuff. In any case, good luck.

Dincho said:
lol ebay normally, they just don't seem to have them on there. I'll see if i can find the seller in my ebay history.

Hey Dinch that would be really great, thanks. Sometimes your message history has that info too, if you have had cause to message the seller :)

There is fluval edge black sponge you fit on to inlet. I think it is for their hob filter from fluval edge. It cost around 3GBP and it is best I've seen so far. It has quite large hole in so you need some 16mm tubing on 12-13mm pvc tube. I alsto tried thin metal mesh cap and it is also great but they cost around 9 so I made my own.

Thanks for the replies guys, I already had a sponge over my outlet that I made myself from filter sponge, not too fine - but fine enough the shrimp don't go for a spin to Death Mountain/up the inlet for the HOB. :lol:
And they all graze on it too. :D
I do like those stainless strainer things though...

Thanks,
Kris

Back