• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aponogeton inflorescence ID

Tim Harrison

Administrator
UKAPS Team
Hi can anyone ID which Aponogeton species this inflorescence belongs to please? it was sold to me as A. natans but I am not so sure anymore.

Aponogetonnatansflower.jpg

Hi all,
I should also have said that the hybrid suggestion was because of the floating leaves in the back-ground, as A. ulvaceus is only meant to produce submerged ones. A. natans would be the most likely other parent. If they belong to another plant, or aren't actually Aponogeton leaves, you can scrub the hybrid bit.

A lot of Aponogeton plants in commerce are meant to be hybrids, but as they are difficult to ID, this may just be conjecture. I've only had them recently, and I really like them. I've just got one plant of the A. crispus type, but it has great leaves, even though the flowers are nothing like as good as yours. I've tried pollinating them with a paint brush, but I haven't had any joy.

This is a flowering one of George's in this thread <http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=16154>.

cheers Darrel

The floating leaves do belong to the plant so I guess then it is A. natans after all...isn't it? :? It also has submerged leaves about 15 - 20cm long and about 1 - 1.5cm wide.

Anyway having two flower spikes from two separate plants (I have 5 all together) I have attempted pollination, it will be interesting to see what happens next if anything.

It looks like A. natans, but could quite easily be a hybrid. The leaves of A. ulvaceous are quite distinctive, broad and translucent. I've never known it to have floating leaves. It's flower spikes are a bit variable but are usually longer and less curved than yours, and often mauve or pinkish.
100_0661a.jpg

Shows the leaves, A. ulvaceous on the right.
100_0659a.jpg

Inflorescence (leaf is A. rigidifolius).

Hi all,
I think "pure" A. natans would have a single flower spike, and much more spread out flowers along the spike. Allegedly the Asian species have simple flower scapes and the African/Madagascan species have branched flowering scapes.

cheers Darrel

Back