• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Barb Island. its all over.

Re: 90x75x45 optiwhite. advise needed please

As you have that frosting and you said the lily suckers wont attach, how about a dab of silicon on the suckers ? It comes off and should do the trick and you can take the glass off the sucker and leave that in place for cleaning :thumbup:

Re: 90x75x45 optiwhite. flow improved.

Chuffed for you bud ... glad you did not have to drill anymore holes, hopefully with your new warpspeed (cegs not the only scifi fan) distrubution the tank will get better and better :clap:

Glad to see its working for you :) Told you so :p (hehehe) Back to front, works every time. :geek: Looks like we are both on the right track now as my tank seems to be looking up too now I got the flow and CO2 levels moving in the right direction.

Iain,
Your neighbor just sent me an email stating that he saw through the window what you were doing with the lily pipes and that he thought as a result, you were an oddball.

Now you should trim your glosso. If the flow is improved then this will help diffuse the and carry away the ethelyne buildup in the plant tissues and the new leaves should grow horizontally. If they do not then you know you still have not solved the problem of flow.

Always remember that glosso/HC growing upward is the plants way of telling you that your flow is crapola.

Cheers,

My neighbour needs to stop looking in my window, i did tease her and do it in my pants :)

The frustrating thing is clive i had read on so many of your posts about single direction flow and have advised it elsewhere but for some reason thought the width of my tank was somehow different, i need to tune into the matrix more ;)

In no way is it on my agenda but am interested... i had read on a few threads and discussions about glosso that its one of the few carpet plants does respond to higher lighting to grow flat, or that it can take several trims before flat growth. Do you subscribe to this thinking?

thanks again Ceg, glosso was gunna get it tomorrow anyway which will be its second trim, the best learning is trying.

easerthegeezer said:
In no way is it on my agenda but am interested... i had read on a few threads and discussions about glosso that its one of the few carpet plants does respond to higher lighting to grow flat, or that it can take several trims before flat growth. Do you subscribe to this thinking?
No. that is another illusion of The Matrix. As I mentioned, glosso responds as all other Submerged Aquatic Macrophytes (SAM) to the environmental impact of submersion. Vertical growth is a response to the gaseous hormone Ethylene (C2H4) as discussed in http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14304

The people who tell you to add more light to get carpet plants to grow horizontally are obviously Klingons in sheep's clothing. Read more about ethylene here=> Ethylene-promoted Elongation: an Adaptation to Submergence Stress

Cheers,

Thanks clive, i shall see how i go... no interest in lowering the light as the whole idea of this tank was to be gentle light for an easier life.
Will the algae in the foreground eventually go altogether if co2 etc is all correct as in my first tank i struggled to get rid of algae in hairgrass even though co2 etc seemed to be ok?

Picked up some ottos from ornamental fish farm near bury a week ago, they were just £2 each which was a bargain and they looked nice and healthy.
They are the most effective algae eating ottos ive ever had!! Think they might qualify for government grants due to obesity. :lol:
IMG_2283.jpg

also received the coral pelia from basil which looks nice and some huge portions of fissidens from John C.
this is one portion dropped in a spot to grow in, i got two portions and am trying some in a propagator chopped up on rock.
Cheers john, great moss!! :clap:
IMG_2289.jpg

Also have a large amount of pearling on microsorum's and stems so flow must have improved a lot as never had it in this tank before now really. :thumbup:

easerthegeezer said:
Picked up some ottos the other day from ornimental fish farm near bury, they were just £2 each which was a bargain and they looked nice and healthy.

They are never seen them that 'fat' before.....got an address or postcode, thx.

geaves said:
easerthegeezer said:
Picked up some ottos the other day from ornimental fish farm near bury st edmonds, they were just £2 each which was a bargain and they looked nice and healthy.

as above mate, google will show it up.
Only a few left though, wish i had taken them all.

foxfish said:
When I grew glosso in my log tank I use two 39wT5s for 7 hours a day & it tried very hard to grow away from the light source!

Thanks for the pic, i remember reading this journal, very interesting it was too :thumbup:

easerthegeezer said:
geaves said:
easerthegeezer said:
Picked up some ottos the other day from ornimental fish farm near bury st edmonds, they were just £2 each which was a bargain and they looked nice and healthy.

as above mate, google will show it up.
Only a few left though, wish i had taken them all.

Ornamental Fish Farm
Tut Hill Fornham
All Saints
Bury St. Edmunds
Suffolk
IP28 6LD
Tel: 01284 703418

Antipofish said:
Ornamental Fish Farm
Tut Hill Fornham
All Saints
Bury St. Edmunds
Suffolk
IP28 6LD

look at you making me look like a lazy bar steward!! No harm in making people use some initiative :angelic:

mikeappleby said:
Tank looks fantastic. Am going to try shifting my returns to your set up, have them slightly angled now, will see what difference it makes!

Thanks mate, go for it! to get pearling on day one something must be better!! TAKE THE RED PILL :lol:

easerthegeezer said:
Antipofish said:
Ornamental Fish Farm
Tut Hill Fornham
All Saints
Bury St. Edmunds
Suffolk
IP28 6LD

look at you making me look like a lazy bar steward!! No harm in making people use some initiative :angelic:

Lol well it wasn't my intention :lol: Just that I decided to take a look myself. Im wondering if they do mail order.

unfortunately not, i asked as most of the fauna they carry is at least half the price of MA. He did say they keep there ottos for 4 weeks in QT fed courgette and cucumber which explains the size.
Was in MA the other day and their ottos are tiny and still dying but then they feed them algae pellets and wonder why..!!
Amano shrimp were just a couple of quid too :)

easerthegeezer said:
Antipofish said:
Ornamental Fish Farm
Tut Hill Fornham
All Saints
Bury St. Edmunds
Suffolk
IP28 6LD

Thanks Chris......TBH I did find it via google just wanted confirmation..... :rolleyes: not too far from me, just that I can't get them locally....went to Aldham on Saturday....none there either.

I would add that it is worth inspecting the fish very carefully. I have noticed fish quality to be a bit up and down at this store. Sometimes you can grab a cracking bargain though :thumbup:

I have been going there off and on for the last 25+ years so they must be doing something right.

Andy

Grabbed a couple of pics today before work, just under the T5's.

One to confuse you.
IMG_2300.jpg

Happy stems
IMG_2310.jpg

I have just also noticed that all 4 anubia coffefolia plants have also put out new leaves, first since they went in the tank :) Fish also seem happier, i guess because the plants are oxygenating the water more and a little more surface movement.

Back