• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

UG - Utricularia graminifolia

ghostsword said:
Yep, they are cheap, I buy often and refunds are always available if something is not good.

I would like to get some UG to play with, will have to get some from tropica.

How fast does it grow, emersed that is?

Luis, did you ever try this emeresed?

Emersed is easy. Growing like grass. Does not require mysting in my experience just do not keep it on sun I was growing it on window and it is still there in original tropica pot for 2 months now and it increased in size.

Submersed is more difficult I noticed when not enough light they will release them self to the surface where they can put new tiny roots again.

Radik said:
Emersed is easy. Growing like grass. Does not require mysting in my experience just do not keep it on sun I was growing it on window and it is still there in original tropica pot for 2 months now and it increased in size.

Submersed is more difficult I noticed when not enough light they will release them self to the surface where they can put new tiny roots again.

Hi Radik,

Thanks for the reply, so if i just place my pot or rockwool into the ADA Amazoia and leave it all should be well? Do i cover the glass with cling film to keep moisture?

Thanks

Westyggx said:
ghostsword said:
Yep, they are cheap, I buy often and refunds are always available if something is not good.

I would like to get some UG to play with, will have to get some from tropica.

How fast does it grow, emersed that is?

Luis, did you ever try this emeresed?

I got it emersed on the siting room. Not dying but not a weed either. :)

yes keep it covered I had it in original pot with that plastic bag so I just folded it over on the top with little air going in. It will grow on anyting I am not even dozing ferts just changing tap water.

Here is some of my UG pots. I do not cover it with anything. Just free air access, T5 light Amazonia Powder and RO water.
_MG_2439.jpg

_MG_2440.jpg

_MG_2438.jpg

_MG_2432.jpg

Do you sell those pots Aquadream? They look extremely healthy. I would love to have another crack at growing this. Will anchor it down this time though! :lol:

Quetzalcoatl said:
Do you sell those pots Aquadream? They look extremely healthy. I would love to have another crack at growing this. Will anchor it down this time though! :lol:
The pots in the tank are for sale actually. Got 10 available. I had no more space in the hydroponics boxes so had to put them in the tank and they quickly started to blow up in size.
If you or anybody else what them can pm me any time.

oh i think i want a portion for a bowl by the window....

ghostsword said:
Nice... Maybe I am not giving enough light..

The light I use is much like the amount on my planted aquariums. Even emmersed UG can still go bust if the light is too much, because I grow it in a small room with limited nutrients and CO2. Not quite like it is in nature.

Garuf said:
Tonias are one of the few plants that need soft water, not going to happen in London is it. ;)

I'm not sure about that, I have soft water today, but when I lived in Davis CA, we have very hard KH and GH', and the Gh is particularly vile due to 52ppm Mg++........I started cutting the Tap with 1/2 RO and things were fine after that.

But lower KH is better in all cases I can think of for plants.

Here's some Tonina I sold recently:

2 months ago:

97d760c0.jpg

Today:
c51fc633.jpg

Sold Monday:
8e6d684b.jpg

UG has been very easy.
4243f769.jpg

I cut sod pieces from this patch these days to sell.

Tonina brings is 50$ for the above and a 10cm x 5 cm patch of UG typically 20$.
So tanks can make a profit and pay for themselves if well managed.

Aquadream said:
ghostsword said:
Nice... Maybe I am not giving enough light..

The light I use is much like the amount on my planted aquariums. Even emmersed UG can still go bust if the light is too much, because I grow it in a small room with limited nutrients and CO2. Not quite like it is in nature.

I am just giving the UG 4 hours of light a day, need to measure the par. Slow grower, but not dead. ;)

UG do well low KH or around 4KH as well. It was growing to me in 12KH surprisingly well but now do better in softer water.
Tonina Fluitans is so far good on KH4 as well. So it is half RO/TAP for London.
Tonina sp Belem and Manaus, got from vivarium not so good yet but maybe will adapt, I've got different stems now from ukaps member which is already adapted to London/ro water so will see how this will grow.

I do give UG a around 70-80par of light 6 hours a day until it is pearling it grows best this way. Will post some photo in 2 weeks or so if all goes well :)

ghostsword said:
I am just giving the UG 4 hours of light a day, need to measure the par. Slow grower, but not dead. ;)

Presumably it's the availability of N P K ions being more available to the plants rather than them affixing with the c/mg in the water or are they able to jump the barrier layer more effectively?

George Farmer said:
plantbrain said:
But lower KH is better in all cases I can think of for plants.
Why is this exactly? I've suspected this myself but don't know why...

Likely has to do with uptake of CO2 and enzymatic efficiency. As the carbonate alkalinity increases, the efficacy seems to decline. I do not think this has anything to do with other nutrients though.

The growth of so called low KH soft water plants in high KH seems to mimic poor CO2, not N, P, K, Fe deficiencies.
If higher KH's blocked say N, or P, we should be able to add more or limit them in soft water tanks and illicit the same growth responses.

Only CO2 seems to do this with these plants.
I can take a plant and add poor cO2/not enough and get the same slow death/poor growth on say S "belem" in Soft low KH, say 1 degree....................as I can trying to grow it at 11 KH. I cannot do this with NO3, or PO4, or Fe.

When BOTH systems are enriched with non limiting CO2, then only the KH is the independent variable..........we still have CO2 like growth issues on this group of plants.

Other species are unaffected however, so it's selective. Most of these softer water species are poor competitors for CO2 and tend to have higher CO2 demands as well vs other plant species also. Without a labeling experiment using 14CO2 or something, it is tough to say where and what is going on with the CO2 uptake enzymes and intermediates.

No one has compared suspected soft water tropical plants we have trouble with growing at higher KH vs the low KH I am aware of using non limiting CO2 gas enrichment.

It's sort of highly specific question and not something botantist will study really since it's not a natural system and tropical rare aquatic plants are under the radar.

Back