• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New plant treatment

RossMartin

Hi all,

Just wondered what people do when they get their new plants to ensure that there are no snails etc. Do you quarantine them? Add any treatments?

Thanks

Ross

I just rinse mine under the tap and give them a quick visual inspection, but I do not keep any inverts at all. It would depend on the source of the plants as it has been reported that a lot of Asian plants have been sprayed with insecticides and pesticides causing shrimp wipe outs. European plants such as Aquafleur and Tropica will not be treated with such harsh chemicals.

If I get any snails my Botia Kubotai have them for dinner :D

Before I use to put them straight in my tank but now that I got some shrimps I am very careful and usually soak them overnight before putting them in.

As far as I know, anti snail treatments (copper) don't kill snails, they just knock them out making it easier to siphon them out of the tank. I don't know if these work on snail eggs, from what I've seen, they are quite sticky and rinsing the plants might not wash them off.

As awtong suggested, snail eating fish is probably your best bet. I had a new tank setup for a couple of months with no fish and it got infested with literally hundreds of snails, within 5 hours of introducing some Denisonii barbs, there were no snails to be seen anywhere! :)

I have a few snails in mine,I have seen assassin snails for sail,has anyone used them,and have they been successful?

Cheers

Rudi

Back