• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Price of stamps going up!

rolexbene

Just wanted to see how everyone feels about the price of stamps going up to £0.60 for a first class at the end of this month, I can imagine its annoying with all the amount of small free trading that happens on this site. Personally I am a tight blahblahblahblah/poor, so think it is a criminal insult against our very queen :lol:

"The 30% price rise in first-class stamps, and 39% rise for second-class, mark the biggest annual increase in percentage terms since 1975. Ten years ago, a first-class stamp cost 27p, and a second-class cost 19p."

Hi all,
I don't know really, I think the Royal Mail still offers exceptional value. I've posted quite a few padded envelopes & thin parcels of plants etc, where they don't weigh much, and these are usually either £1.59 or £1.96 (both first class). It will be interesting to see what they cost after May 1st.

cheers Darrel

I must admit I've always thought it's fairly remarkable that for the price of a mars bar you can get someone to carry your letters the length of the country and hand-deliver them next day. But maybe that's because I grew up somewhere where the only place in the entire country you could get mail was a PO box that was checked about once a month :lol:

:wideyed:
Wait until they carve it up when privatisation happens.
Then you will see the prices realy rocket.
Send 2nd class the item will get there in 2/3 days....99% of the time.
hoggie

spyder said:
Over 50mm thick and upto 750 gms is £2.70 1st class.

Under 50mm thick is 75p 1st class.

The most affected category will be small packets as as stated above they are ditching 0-100, 100-250, 250-500g wieght ranges and replacing it with one which will cost 2.70£ This will affect loads and loads of businesses. Other categories althogh will go up could be lived with :(

Hi all,
The most affected category will be small packets as as stated above they are ditching 0-100, 100-250, 250-500g weight ranges and replacing it with one which will cost 2.70£
So that is going to put up the cost of posting a few plants considerably.
Wait until they carve it up when privatisation happens. Then you will see the prices really rocket.
&
I must admit I've always thought it's fairly remarkable that for the price of a mars bar you can get someone to carry your letters the length of the country and hand-deliver them next day. But maybe that's because I grew up somewhere where the only place in the entire country you could get mail was a PO box that was checked about once a month
I'm sure you are both right, private companies are going to have absolutely no interest in going to any of the remoter rural areas, and if you want to post to Cornwall, Scotland, Mid Wales etc. it will soon be very expensive and there may well be nobody offering a postal service at all.

I'm sure Mr Cameron's friends are busy investing in private mail companies in exactly the same way as they are investing in private health care companies, and it isn't for our benefit.

cheers Darrel

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
The most affected category will be small packets as as stated above they are ditching 0-100, 100-250, 250-500g weight ranges and replacing it with one which will cost 2.70£
So that is going to put up the cost of posting a few plants considerably.

cheers Darrel

I setup my website on 31st of March then had to go tweak all the postage settings.

The Staurogyne I recently posted out in Jiffy bags made it under 50mm thickness so went for 75p each. Bigger packages would be cheaper split into 2 packages if you can get them under the 50mm thickness. :thumbup:

spyder said:

Piece-of-fish said:
spyder said:

The most affected category will be small packets as as stated above they are ditching 0-100, 100-250, 250-500g wieght ranges and replacing it with one which will cost 2.70£ This will affect loads and loads of businesses. Other categories althogh will go up could be lived with :(

i dont send hardly anything through the post, but recently have sent a few to ukaps members and was :wideyed: at the price of sending small lightweight packages. Iv got a pricelist from the po now so i can check in the future, but the upto 750g small packet is a ridiculous range!, next time ill try to use less packaging to get it into the large letter category at 90p.

Back